Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Does anybody know where I can get hold of clear white fog light bulbs for my slk55 to replace the standard yellow fog light bulbs!

I bought some from eBay which turned out to be the wrong bulbs even though it said R171 SLK fog light bulbs on their add!

Many thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,285 Posts
I bought HB4s for mine, only to find they were the wrong type when I went to fit them (I'd searched online, and didn't realise that the SLK specs for different countries can mean different bulb types). So, I actually needed H7s instead. These are the ones I ordered:
2x H7 [499] 55w Super White Xenon Headlight Bulbs 12v XE8 | eBay

Although that listing has now ended, I hope it gives you enough info to help you find the right bulbs. They're much whiter than the standard bulbs, and much closer in colour (whiteness) to the LED parking lights I have, and the bi-xenon headlights (although perhaps not quite a perfect match).

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,534 Posts
Yes any H7 SuperWhite will fit. Do Not try to fit LED's.
For some reason they do not work in the 55 Fogs.
Unless someone can tell me where to get some that do work.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought HB4s for mine, only to find they were the wrong type when I went to fit them (I'd searched online, and didn't realise that the SLK specs for different countries can mean different bulb types). So, I actually needed H7s instead. These are the ones I ordered:
2x H7 [499] 55w Super White Xenon Headlight Bulbs 12v XE8 | eBay

Although that listing has now ended, I hope it gives you enough info to help you find the right bulbs. They're much whiter than the standard bulbs, and much closer in colour (whiteness) to the LED parking lights I have, and the bi-xenon headlights (although perhaps not quite a perfect match).
Thanks for that mate, I've done exactly the same, lol!

Btw do you have to have the car on the ramp to access the fogs? Is there any other way?

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
The front fogs are removable front the front - there are 3 torx screws holding the grills in - once removed you can access the screws that hold the fog light in place - remove these and the unit comes out, allowing you to unplug and change the bulbs

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As Sean said, I've just done mine, need a couple of replacement zip ties to hold the rubber light housing in place.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,251 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

Btw do you have to have the car on the ramp to access the fogs? Is there any other way?
Perhaps this pdf may help, same procedure for SLK55. No need for ramps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,285 Posts

Sorry, a rare Saturday night out meant I didn't see your question sooner. At least several others gave you the answer you needed though (isn't this forum great?). The PDF that Eddy shared is also available from the post in one of my signature links too. :D

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
364 Posts
Fog Lamp Rubber Boot

As Sean said, I've just done mine, need a couple of replacement zip ties to hold the rubber light housing in place.
Speaking of that rubber boot on the rear of the fog lamp housing: Does anyone know how/where replacement boots can be obtained? So far, my searches have yielded zero.

Thanks,
Horace

3/23/16 - Found it on a MB OEM parts site. It's part of the fogs wiring harness. $20.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow!

You guys are great, many thanks for the help.

The H7s have arrived this morning, so will attempt at fitting this weekend.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,534 Posts
You can slide the Rubber Boot off without cutting the TieWraps.
There are a couple of Cut-Outs, you should be able to feel them, just Wiggle.
Everyone likes a Wiggle...:wink:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I managed to fit the bulbs yesterday, it was really easy, thanks to you guys!

On the way I got the fog lamp surround wrapped in 'gloss black' :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts