Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all guys,
I'm looking for a new 18" wheels for my R172 and I found a fantastic set of
AMG wheels but it's specific for R171.

Technical data tells me that this set are:

7,5j 18 ET 36 front
8,5j 18 ET 30 rear

instead of my defaul size 7,5 18 ET 42(front) / 8,5j 18 ET 36(rear) ...
You know if there's some fitting problem? I think I can mount it with no problem

Thanks in advance

:wink:

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,237 Posts
Pi3tr0;2479618 You know if there's some fitting problem? I think I can mount it with no problem Thanks in advance :wink:[/QUOTE said:
I don't think you can.
R171 has M12 lugholes and R172 M14.......
Will be hard to get your M14 bolts through holes for a M12.....>:D

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
I don't think you can.
R171 has M12 lugholes and R172 M14.......
Will be hard to get your M14 bolts through holes for a M12.....>:D
The lug bolts for the R172 are also shorter than the R171 lug bolts.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I'd guess that the holes in the wheels are just big enough for the M14 bolt - for the R171 M12 bolt (12mm dia) the holes will be larger than 12mm - possibly enough to fit a 14mm bolt thorugh

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,237 Posts
Yeah, if they are original R171 wheels than that's the only thing I can think off.
But still, the head of an M14 bolt has a radius of 14 mm whereas th seating of the lugholes in the R171 wheels have a radius of 12 mm. Not a good fit I think.
And I never heard of M14 bolts with the head of a M12 bolt, so a head with a 12 mm radius, so I can't think of way to solve this.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Correct.

The M14 bolts will just go through with a bit of persuasion on one or two…(been there - only had two axle stands when I had mine painted black so had to use two old wheels from the 171. Bear in mind that it is not the shank that matters but the ball making a solid contact with the seat - as you say above.

The ball though will be tightening right on the outside edge of the seating dish, and as it is not sitting fully in the seat will be prone to loosening. Also, and please note, the lug will not be screwed fully into the hubs.

Not something I'd be happy with, but maybe around town will be ok. For a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a 17 tools to pull-out bolts ... if I remember well ... for old and new wheels.

I still used R172 bolts ... during we I 'll try to pull out some bolts and take some measures

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Yes, the heads are 17mm for both lugs, but there the similarity ends.
Wheel lugs are not like bolts for say, cylinder heads where a clamping force is required. Wheel lugs have a conical or spherical seat that must match the corresponding seat in the wheel to avail of the design.
Because your lugs are not seating in the wheels, and not wishing to be being alarmist, you are outside the safety zone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.