Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last storage start-up, I had a 3rd Brake Light Bulb Out Message. I have John's 3rd Brake light flashing unit installed and need to ensure it is properly installed and/or if the toggle switch was changed or turned it off completely??? I only have tail lamp brake lights... My assumption is a burned out bulb.

I have searched but could not identify if there is a part number for the 3rd Brake Light bulb for a US SLK55? I believe John's unit is compatible with LED lighting and normal auto light bulbs? If so, does someone know a LED bulb and supplier for the AMG 3rd Brake Light Bulb?

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
John's 3rd brake light module is compatible with both LEDs and incandescent lamps although the 3rd brake light is LED.

You may want to disconnect and re-connect the plugs to the original and see if the 3rd brake light works (perhaps with the aid of a mirror or an assistant).

If the unit (3rd brake light) is bad, IIRC, the whole thing needs replacement. Do a search on the thread on changing out the 3rd brake light to AMG ones, there may be a part number in that thread.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,915 Posts
Chicky, that item number is for the entire 3rd Brake Light Assembly. The OP would like just the BULB that goes into that assembly.

Matton, whilst I don't know that number, if you are in need of an entire assembly in RED (not the smoked AMG version) I have two in my garage that I will sell you very cheap. Just let me know.

Steve
Per Eddy - and I concur - there's no such thing as a replacement light source for these things. If it's broken, it's gonna need to be replaced as a whole. It would be pretty unusual for the LED to be broken though. Those things last forever. More likely a loose connection or somesuch.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Per Eddy - and I concur - there's such a thing as a replacement light source for these things. If it's broken, it's gonna need to be replaced as a whole. It would be pretty unusual for the LED to be broken though. Those things last forever. More likely a loose connection or somesuch.
Matton, better yet if it's a red one that you are wanting to replace. One of the high brake lights that I have is brand, spanking new and never used. It was sent in error when I had requested the ///AMG tinted version. Lazy me, I never sent it back for credit. So, if you want a deal, you can have that or the original red one that is practically new that came off my car.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey Matton - absolutely disconnect the flasher module as a test - I've only had one other fail, but......

As others have said, on the R171 there is no concept of a "bulb" - it's a strip of LED's and they are sold as a complete assembly...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update : Pulled trim panel from trunk and reinstalled John's 3rd Brake Flasher unit and the unit now works. Thanks again for your inputs. Now, need to replace a burnt out parking light bulb with ones purchased from the SLK Store.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts