Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone have an idea why it will not scan? Hooking up to the Mercedes OBD SCANNER and the output shows only exclamation marks. No other display. No check Mark's or fault codes.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
Have you used OBD on it before?

Until the boffins arrive I think it may be due to different types of connector being used.
I think they look the same externally.

Have a look through the 'which scanner' threads.
I think it is mentioned in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes actually it worked on the same scanner a few months ago. I recently had an issue with something electrical and was shocked thru the ignition switch as I tried to start the car. Since then it has been cutting off intermittently after driving and starting the car repeatedly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This will probably be a little tough to diagnose over the web but here goes. First off, I'd test the scanner itself on a different car. If I were you, I'd pray it doesn't work cause then it's an easy problem to solve: New scanner. If the scanner does work, the problem is likely related to the earlier problem. Can you go into more detail about what happened and what the solution was? Finally, why are you running a scan? Bored on a weekend or are you having an issue with the car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and thank you for your reply. I did run scan on another car and it worked. It worked on my car before also. I am trying to understand because the bar has been cutting off intermittently after I've had issues when I started the car I got shocked. Ever since then some days it will run with no problem other days it will give me issues with trying to keep it started when I first crank up the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and apparently it is affecting everything to the OBD. Another using here thanks that it could be the K40 relay switch

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Sounds like a short somewhere has fried something close to the OBD port - not sure if the 170 has a central gateway or not ....

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,446 Posts
Can't find anything in WIS about a CGW either. WIS does mention something like a Multifunction Control Module that seems to control various systems in the R170 like the wipers,PSE,lights,etc. As I understand it it also used for diagnosing and maybe also serves as the storage location for the DTC's. It is located in the engine bay, maybe something got fried in that area?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
No CGW in R170's.

The month and year of manufacture may be important here - what is yours? (see the label on the door jamb).It looks like X11/22 (OBD port) receives power from F1 Fuse 37. It is switched, so won't be hot if the key's not on. The car does not need to be running.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Should've added: the OBDII port is connected to the ECU directly (but has its own +12V mentioned above, and its own ground).

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes actually it worked on the same scanner a few months ago. I recently had an issue with something electrical and was shocked thru the ignition switch as I tried to start the car. Since then it has been cutting off intermittently after driving and starting the car repeatedly.
Sounds like maybe a ground wire issue. Be good idea to check your ground wire cable condition as well as the connection and make sure it is clean and corrosion free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.