Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all

Can you guys tell me if the CLK500 (209) wheels will fit on my R170 SLK320?
The CLK's wheels are 245/17 - for rear and 225/17 - for front
And SLK 225/16 -rear and 205/16 for front.
I want to buy the CLK and replace the standard mags with C63 mags, and use the standard CLK mags for the SLK.

Thanks for all the good advice so far on this forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the chart. According to the chart, I'll be able to put 255/35/18 on the rear of the SLK and 225/40/18 on the front. I had a look at a second hand pair of wheels, 265/35/18 and 225/40/18. Seems to fit with out any problems, but it seems so much bigger than the 225/40/16 and 205/45/16 (the stock wheels). Will this be a problem with the auto box? I like the look, but not enough to bugger up anything on the SLK
These wheels came of a CLK 209

Thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
I think it is risky to talk about tire size as being wheel size.
The stock wheel front is is a 7J x 16 H2 with 37 mm offset. The rear is 8J x16 H2 30 mm offset.
The tire sizes are 205/55R16 front and 225/50 R16 rear.
What you first have to decide is what the influence of the offset of any other rim will be.
If the offset for the front on other rims was say 35 and 28 for the rears I wouldn't get too execised, but of the were say 40 front and 34 rear then you have to consider whether there will be any interference. After nearly 30 yr of MB ownership, staying with the recommended offsets has never gotten my into trouble. The winter rims I use on my 2011 E350 are 45 mm offset whereas the stock rims are 48.
If the rim fits OK then it is merely a case of making an informed decision based on what is the maximum width of tire recommended for that width of rim. Usually going up one size is not problematic.
Deciding on tire sizes from another car is risky in my view.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Alex3, fyi, this post is almost a year old.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Sure enough

Was I not just asking questions about tire size and front/back dimensions in this or another thread??

The call comes in from my service indy "Im not going to do the alignment because you need to change out your winter tires"

me: "what?"
him: "you know you have winter tires on this car right now, and if you attempt to use them throughout the summer that is going to be no bueno"
me: "great.. what an excuse to look at new rims.."

It never ends does it..ugh LOL ..can anyone else hear my amex scream? life is good :bannana:

Has anyone had luck with our tire sponsor? perhaps ill go search the threads instead of hijacking this one. ty!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alex3, fyi, this post is almost a year old.
Even though its a year old nubs like my self are still reading them and trying to learn. I 'm thankful for people still posting on "dead" threads. When I use to mod my car (a certain car that is named after a horse that shall remain nameless on this forum) I never messed with the rims and tires I am TOTALLY lost with this stuff so any information (as long as its not wrong :)) is appreciated.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
That means the inside edge of the front wheel - not the tire - will be 13 mm closer to the suspension than the stock 37 mm offset wheel. That's is over 1/2 ''. The tire may extend further in and give you interference with the suspension or wheel well particularly on sharp turns. I suppose a 12mm spacer could fix that but you may end up some tire poke.
The rears are a whole different animal. The offset difference is 20 mm.
Best bet is still to get your dealer to check with MBUSA for max size in terms of diameter, offset and tires before you jump in and regret it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.