Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the R170. I was in the MB dealership yesterday and I looked at a R171. Its got a few more miles than my R170, but the price is a lot lower than what I expected... from the dealership, with service records, my trade + 4k.

When I was originally looking at them, they were like mid 20s, and now somehow they are down to 13-14k while the 320s are still at 10-11k, 9k trade in offer on the 171.

I think I'm going to just keep my 170. Fairly low miles, great condition, I've finally got all the issues worked out, rebuilt top cyliders, and while I like the look of the R171 a tiny bit more, they seem pretty much the same to me, but the thought did cross my mind and I was surprised to see it!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Though I (obviously perhaps) prefer the R171, the R170 is still a great looking car. :tu:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Though I (obviously perhaps) prefer the R171, the R170 is still a great looking car. :tu:
I like the R171 more too. If I didn't have one yet I'd probably pick up a 171, but the difference isnt enough for me to justify bailing ony my trusty old 170! haha...

(well once you put the spyder headlights on it the R170 becomes bearable ;))

·
Registered
126 Posts
$13-$14k is a very low price for a 2005 or newer SLK...must be lots of miles or wrecked, because that is well below edmunds pricing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Currently I'm on holidays in Europe but when I get back to Australia I plan to purchase a late as possible R170 SLK 320 with lowest possible km's and just use it from time to time.

Will not look at 230K for I have had one before and I want more power, I just don't see myself doing the same thing in a few years with an R171.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$13-$14k is a very low price for a 2005 or newer SLK...must be lots of miles or wrecked, because that is well below edmunds pricing.
First off, Car guides are just a guide. they don't seem to represent real market value on any car right now. Pick up trucks are selling for double the guide prices, as are 4 dr sedans. Sports cars on the other hand are selling for half.

Same thing is true WHERE you buy them in the US. I worked with a guy not too far from here who makes his living driving a truck down south, buying a bunch of cars, driving them back up here and selling them because the markets higher here.

Secondly according to the edmunds guide, the retail price should be $12,901 so its not the low even if you do accept the edmunds guide ($11,715 for private party sale)

It is on the low end, thats for sure. I've seen a few in this price range but most have been 15-18k. I talked to the dealer about it and they said cars like that just aren't moving, so to sell it they have to drop the prices. At the same time an 01 jetta is selling for $7500!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had my car for a while now and was thinking about getting an r172 until I saw it in person. Honestly I've never liked the r171 front end (that nose just didn't do it for me). I was pleased when I saw some early pictues of the r172 and noticed they ditched the 'nose' and it looked more like a classic roadster - almost leaning more towards the original r170.

Well, when I saw it in person I loved the interior and the roof, but I still don't like the front end. So, considering my r170 still runs great, I decided just to keep it. Guess I'll wait to see what the r173 or face lifted version of the 172 looks like.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my car for a while now and was thinking about getting an r172 until I saw it in person. Honestly I've never liked the r171 front end (that nose just didn't do it for me). I was pleased when I saw some early pictues of the r172 and noticed they ditched the 'nose' and it looked more like a classic roadster - almost leaning more towards the original r170.

Well, when I saw it in person I loved the interior and the roof, but I still don't like the front end. So, considering my r170 still runs great, I decided just to keep it. Guess I'll wait to see what the r173 or face lifted version of the 172 looks like.
I find it interesting how different everyone's personal opinion is! I love my R170... everything but the front end. I think it looks like a saturn or some crappy old car. I'm kind of embarrassed to drive an R170 sometimes, and I always make sure I park it front-end-away-from-people. While the R171 to me looks very sleek and sportscarish, possibly one of the best looking cars ever made. I personally find the R170 one of the ugliest 2 seater sports cars in existence.

I know that makes me sound like a "insert offensive term here"

Now I feel like I can say that because I currently OWN one. I mean I love how it drives, how it handles, the interior, the rear end, how its built. I've said it before, but its one of my favorite cars I've ever owned... Just don't like the front.

Thought I could fix it by doing something with the bumper and the hood. Hate the "power bulges" I feel like they look goofy. Didn't have much luck finding a better aftermarket hood. I put on the projectors, that helped with the early 90's look headlights, but I couldn't find an aftermarket front bumper I liked more.

I wanted to buy an R171 because the new laws in Europe won't allow the low sleek front ends anymore (the pedestrian crash laws). The R172 looks too boxy, like a step backwards from the R171. I'm not into the whole retro thing. I'm worried the R173 will be in the same boat. The R171 just seems so reminiscent of the SLR McLaren, one of my dream cars...

Not trying to judge anyone! I know everyone has different opinions and thats GREAT. I like difference of opinion!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I love the front end of the R171, its what made me want the car.
The fact that its a mercedes, 2 seater, convertible, luxurious etc etc
10 years ago when I had a bit of a financial crisis I never thought I would have a car like this again.
Not denigrating anyone else's preference but to me the R171 looks unbelievably cool.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As you all say everyone's different and I always thought the R171 too feminine and that is why I have waited fro the R172 that for me looks much more like the SLS that is definitely my dream car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,302 Posts
too feminine!? you did it now! be prepared for the 'carpet bombing' to begin!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
As you all say everyone's different and I always thought the R171 too feminine and that is why I have waited fro the R172 that for me looks much more like the SLS that is definitely my dream car.
Spot the difference :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
More seats in the one on the left. Is a factory option or some sort of aftermarket conversion?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
same colour - same front end ...
sorry can't see the difference - is one the hard top and one the soft top version ???

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.