Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
The roof works fine until I converted to LPG. and the LPG guy refused to take responsibility.

Please help!!! there is the problem.

1) engine on, hand break on. battery level checked and fine.

2) hold backward the switch, front windows is going down, but stopped within 1 second, they only went down about 2 inch. then indicator lamp flashes normal frequency (about 1Hz). release the switch and try again, windows will go down another 2 inch. push forward and hold the switch for few seconds, both two windows closed.

roof not unlock, trunk door not open, the small rear windows is not moving at all. didn't hear any noise from the Hydraulic pump or the small rear windows.

3) checked both side main windows, works fine with windows switch.

4) checked the hydraulic fluid level, ok

5) checked fuse, hydraulic unit fuse burned. and small rear windows fuse burned. when trying to change the hydraulic unit fuse, spark popup.

6) changed both burned fuses, try again, spark popup at the hydraulic unit and rear small windows fuse.

rear small window regulator issue? how do I test it? have to disassemble and take it out?

Mine is 2003 R170, do I still have the K40 relay issue?

many thanks

Eric

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car). http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
97,411 Posts
liquid propane gas?

·
97,411 Posts
until the experts can chime in:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I do not believe your roof issues have anything to do with your conversion. The only research I could find is a loss in power performance but nothing I have read in the last 15 minutes has indicated roof issues are a direct problem result of the conversion.

Attachments

·
97,411 Posts
until he updates, we do not know if he has a 230 or a 320

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not believe your roof issues have anything to do with your conversion. The only research I could find is a loss in power performance but nothing I have read in the last 15 minutes has indicated roof issues are a direct problem result of the conversion.
I heard about disconnect battery sometime cause control unit faulty or fuse burned? this may cause the problem for the roof?

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the pump fuse blew when you tried to replace it along with the window fuse, you have a short somewhere in wiring leading to the pump or the pump is cooked. I would bet on the wiring going to the pump. My reasoning is that LPG conversions require a tank somewhere for the LPG. I suspect it is in the trunk (boot) where the pump and wiring to it are. I would disconnect the pump and try the fuse (if it still blows, it is likely in wiring leading to pump) if it does not, it is likely the pump. In any case you are going to have to remove the panels and inspect that area problem may be obvious. The way to go at his is to disconnect everything associated with the fuse(s) that are blowing until they stop blowing. If they don't stop then it is in the wiring. If they stop blowing, then reconnect one at a time until a fuse blows.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
The modification to LPG should not have affected the roof functionality.

So now we have to work out what the LPG installation (or anything else) might have done.
You mention the fuses are blowing; it seems like they are blowing even without the function being activated.

One aside; do you have a SmartTop, or similar, that might be running a check when we're not expecting it?

Next is to allow the ignition to power up, and only once that has completed, try fitting a fuse. (It is possible to get a fuse "simulator" that allows you to measure the current) However, it sounds like a dead short (immediate fuse blowing) so trapped wires do sound likely.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The LPG installer needed power for the system (lock off valves, etc., etc.). So if everything was fine before the conversion, it is highly likely he introduced a short or significant overload on the affected circuits.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
The LPG installer needed power for the system (lock off valves, etc., etc.). So if everything was fine before the conversion, it is highly likely he introduced a short or significant overload on the affected circuits.
But if he took power from lines that cause the fuses to blow, then wouldn't part of the LPG installation not work?

I'm still thinking collateral damage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, a short being introduced in a circuit that is not critical to the LPG conversion is collateral damage. I can assure you he was digging around in various places to accomplish the conversion.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
R230 v R170

Interesting document, but unfortunately nothing can be taken as gospel.
This document is for an R230, not an R170.
Hence the number of cylinders is not correct (The R170 has a total of five, so has two for the boot, and does not have the two to assist the roof)
And the sequence is wrong.

The diagnostics pages are good to help the techniques of diagnosing an in-service failure of a vario roof, but in this case, we are not talking about a working system that has failed because of one fault (implicit in the diagnostic philosophy) but are dealing with a roof that has failed because of a significant "installation" error. (Yes, the installation is of a different unit, but the diagnosis will have to deal with multiple failures, and also includes wiring. Installation diagnosis always *has* to include wiring, and in-service failures only by implication)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.