Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
219 Posts
Both use the W5A330 gear box with identical ratios , and more important both use Bosch ME ECU. If the bellhousing bolt holes line up , its a straight fit.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,996 Posts
Auto Trans ....

Pre Facelift SLK uses EGS 51 TCU, Facelift's the very first 320's (2000 MY) use EGS 51, later Cars like 2001 up use EGS52.

Ratios I have no idea if they are the same, the number stamped on the side of the Trans above the Pan Rail "722.6xx" needs checked, if the xx is the same then yes the Ratios will be the same, if not nope they won't and therefore it will not work with the TCU in the Car, unless you know how to reprogram the SCN like wot I dun when I fitted the V8 Engine and Tranny ;)

HTH :)

·
6,996 Posts
W5A330 gear box
Where did ya get that number ?

All the 5 speed AUTO Trans are designated by MB as 722.6 (5 speed electronic auto) and then xx (version, ratios etc)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
219 Posts
In my research all 3 vehicles are stated gearbox W5A 330, which is 5 speed Auto .
Ratios are stated 1. 3.932 , 2. 2.408 , 3. 1.486 , 4. 1.0 , 5. 0.831. The pre F/L 230 and the F/L 320 both have a Bosch ME ECU. Diff ratos is where the difference is made , and since that isn't an issue I didn't persue that . I did wonder about ECU, as mine has the Seimen SIM4 LE and knew that would cause issues in compatibility. Which is one issue I have about buying a C32 and putting that V6 S/C 345 hp puppy in my SLK. The whole Seimen shebang would have to go , and be repaced by the Bosch system in the C32. That is off thread , no further correspondence needed. I will go back to that site and see where I missed the 722.6 , might do a reverse search on the W5A330 to see where that leads me , out of the rabbit hole and into a worm hole , lol
What I found is W5A 330 is the smaller brother to the W5A 580 from 1996 , it denotes the maximum input torque ratings in nm for the 722.6 . Which comes to 428 or 243 ft/lbs in Chrysler language. A 722.6 with 580 nm , now which MB does that fit in ,

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
219 Posts
Found R170 with this 722.616 W5A 330 and this 722.618 W5A 330 and this 722.641 W5A 580 . .
.6xx has too many variations , Jag and Porsche 911 amongst them

·
6,996 Posts
Putting a V6 S/C into a 4 Cylinder Car would be extra work over and above doing so to a V6 car, same as doing V8 Conversion, but yes either one can be done ;)

As I'm sure you know Bosch or Siemens ME is the Engine ECU and has no bearing on Trans apart from needing a Version Coding to tell it what actual Trans it has, so a 722.6 would be NAG1 Coding in the ME. AFAIK the Wiring Plugs on the Body side are exactly the same whether Siemens or Bosch. Maybe would have to add some wires for the Intercooler bits that are not mounted on the Engine but no biggie really ;)

The Transmission Controllers are separate units and are year dependent either EGS 51 and 52 variants. which have different Plugs IIRC. If you have EGS 51 they are not really tweakable so convert to EGS 52 by changing the Wiring Plugs ;)

Also as I now know you are looking at 32 Kompressor Engine, the Kompressor V6 actually uses a V8 Transmission, it has an S Class W220 part number starting A220 xxx xx xx, also uses a 3.07 Diff Ratio, as opposed to 3.27 ;)
That V8 / V6 S/C Trans definitely uses different Trans Ratios, and so that has different SCN for Trans Ratios and unless you get a SLK 32 Diff and TCU (EGS52) you will need to modify the Diff Ratio SCN in TCU as well ;)
I had to do that when I fitted V8 Engine and Trans plus the taller, (2.87) Diff from a Pre Facelift C Class W203 Diesel. I also added AMG Manual Mode to the SCN at the same time :D

The TCU's all have a Torque Limiter, (again part of the SCN) programmed in them to match the Trans they are coded for, so if fitting a S/C V6 to a 4 Cylinder Trans or an N/A V6 Trans 2 things will now happen ....

1) When you welly it the Trans WILL go into limp mode due to over torque situation.

2) If you recode the TCU for the "lesser" Transmission to the V8 Trans Torque setting you will blow the 4 cyl / N/A V6 Trans up eventually because that one has a 3 gear planet set and less friction plates etc where the V8 / V6 kompressor Box has 4 Gear planet set / beefier Clutch Packs ;)

It is highly likely the Converter Stall Speeds are different too, so to be safe one should use the T/C that matches the Transmission, i.e. S/C V6 / V8 Converter ;)

HTH ;)

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,149 Posts
Where did ya get that number ?

All the 5 speed AUTO Trans are designated by MB as 722.6 (5 speed electronic auto) and then xx (version, ratios etc)
Sales Designation maestro ..

From ATSG..
Font Art Parallel Drawing Illustration

Found R170 with this 722.616 W5A 330 and this 722.618 W5A 330 and this 722.641 W5A 580 . .
.6xx has too many variations , Jag and Porsche 911 amongst them
See above ^ .6xx is the version matched to the engine (y)

·
6,996 Posts
See above ^ .6xx is the version matched to the engine (y)

Which, without looking at the exact 722 numbers as I don't recall them means that the V6 SC / V8 Trans 722.6xx has higher Torque Capacity and Internal Ratios to the 4 Cylinder / V6 722.6yy Transmission ;)

330 and 580 might well be Ft/Lb Torque Figures ??

We are all singing the same song here just from a different sheet ;)

Doh !! Edit !!

I just looked at the ATSG Hymn Sheet yes they are Torque Capacity Figures

• Haha

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
219 Posts
Which, without looking at the exact 722 numbers as I don't recall them means that the V6 SC / V8 Trans 722.6xx has higher Torque Capacity and Internal Ratios to the 4 Cylinder / V6 722.6yy Transmission ;)

330 and 580 might well be Ft/Lb Torque Figures ??

We are all singing the same song here just from a different sheet ;)

Doh !! Edit !!

I just looked at the ATSG Hymn Sheet yes they are Torque Capacity Figures
330 and 580 are newton metre (nm) , there is supposed to be a 900 also.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
219 Posts
Putting a V6 S/C into a 4 Cylinder Car would be extra work over and above doing so to a V6 car, same as doing V8 Conversion, but yes either one can be done ;)

As I'm sure you know Bosch or Siemens ME is the Engine ECU and has no bearing on Trans apart from needing a Version Coding to tell it what actual Trans it has, so a 722.6 would be NAG1 Coding in the ME. AFAIK the Wiring Plugs on the Body side are exactly the same whether Siemens or Bosch. Maybe would have to add some wires for the Intercooler bits that are not mounted on the Engine but no biggie really ;)

The Transmission Controllers are separate units and are year dependent either EGS 51 and 52 variants. which have different Plugs IIRC. If you have EGS 51 they are not really tweakable so convert to EGS 52 by changing the Wiring Plugs ;)

Also as I now know you are looking at 32 Kompressor Engine, the Kompressor V6 actually uses a V8 Transmission, it has an S Class W220 part number starting A220 xxx xx xx, also uses a 3.07 Diff Ratio, as opposed to 3.27 ;)
That V8 / V6 S/C Trans definitely uses different Trans Ratios, and so that has different SCN for Trans Ratios and unless you get a SLK 32 Diff and TCU (EGS52) you will need to modify the Diff Ratio SCN in TCU as well ;)
I had to do that when I fitted V8 Engine and Trans plus the taller, (2.87) Diff from a Pre Facelift C Class W203 Diesel. I also added AMG Manual Mode to the SCN at the same time :D

The TCU's all have a Torque Limiter, (again part of the SCN) programmed in them to match the Trans they are coded for, so if fitting a S/C V6 to a 4 Cylinder Trans or an N/A V6 Trans 2 things will now happen ....

1) When you welly it the Trans WILL go into limp mode due to over torque situation.

2) If you recode the TCU for the "lesser" Transmission to the V8 Trans Torque setting you will blow the 4 cyl / N/A V6 Trans up eventually because that one has a 3 gear planet set and less friction plates etc where the V8 / V6 kompressor Box has 4 Gear planet set / beefier Clutch Packs ;)

It is highly likely the Converter Stall Speeds are different too, so to be safe one should use the T/C that matches the Transmission, i.e. S/C V6 / V8 Converter ;)

HTH ;)
If I purchase the road worthy C32 amg , I will absolute gut every thing out of it . That includes the wiring loom . The issues that will pop up will be driveshaft and maybe axles to be shortened . It wouldn't surprise me if they are different diameters , to handle the extra torque. Compare V6 to V8 conversion , then my I4 to V6 , im exchanging a shorter block , so more room is available in the engine bay . The S/C sits in the valley of the V6 , not bolted to the side . Everything I need is sitting in the donor vehicle. The question is , do I want to kill a perfectly good licensed vehicle ?

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
367 Posts
If I purchase the road worthy C32 amg , I will absolute gut every thing out of it . That includes the wiring loom . The issues that will pop up will be driveshaft and maybe axles to be shortened . It wouldn't surprise me if they are different diameters , to handle the extra torque. Compare V6 to V8 conversion , then my I4 to V6 , im exchanging a shorter block , so more room is available in the engine bay . The S/C sits in the valley of the V6 , not bolted to the side . Everything I need is sitting in the donor vehicle. The question is , do I want to kill a perfectly good licensed vehicle ?
Wrecking perfectly good vehicles is always a plan, just document it for us. :p

·
6,996 Posts
Yeah, of course it is Nm, apologies, my head is up my ar Land Rover Discovery which is currently in a million bits right now, I got the rest of this week to finish installing all the goodies that have been here a while now 🤣

You don't need the wiring loom from the C43, you do need it's Engine Loom, also will need to remove any body Wiring and turn it into a stand alone loom .... I'm talking of wiring that is specific to the S/C Engine parts that are "Body Side" .... That is what I was referring to in a post above, as I went N/A V8 I have no idea (y)
If you haven't already then you would do well to read @nemiro thread as he used a Supercharged V8 and thus can tell you all the niggles he had sorting out the IC plumbing, pump, wiring etc ;)

The rear end to use is the R170 2000 my and lower, the CV Joints / Axles are stronger and the bolt on type, they use stock Subframe and I haven't blown up a 2.87 Diff (yet) ;) .... Unless of course you are gonna tell me that the whole C43 rear Subframe is simply a bolt in swap ;)

If I were you I'd be looking at buying a V6 SLK 320 ideally with a dead Engine / Trans so it is cheaper. That will be a whole lot less pain, aside from the programming and ECU Mods most of the bits just bolt right in ;)

I can't remember now if you have SDS, but you will need it !!

HTH (y)

·
6,996 Posts
Actually, a very quick search suggests that depending upon what exact Engines the Transmission numbers quoted in above posts were from, those Torque Figures could be either Nm or Ft/Lb ........................

IDK and too busy to go down a rabbit hole, if someone else reading is bored it would be nice to know :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

·
*Premium Member
No SLK owned
183 Posts
I will piggy back on with what Dave is telling you. Based on my own experiences, and those of others making V6 and V8 swaps on their R170's, you definitely will be money ahead by starting with a V6 car. So many little changes, from frame bolt locations, subframe shapes and electrical items that while possible, you will waste so much effort and ultimately money trying to 'correct' the issues that the factory does for you on the V6 car. Swapping a V6 to a V6 Kompressor engine is a bolt in affair, with very little wiring involved. The IC plumbing and pump is straightforward, but if you are going to go that far, take another step and go with a Killer Chiller, InterChiller, etc.

As for the transmission, if I was going to build for power, I would immediately go for a V8 trans. Get one whole. If you cannot find a MB unit (I see you're in the US) for cheap, then Dodge/Chrysler Hemi V8 transmissions can be had for dirt cheap as your core to build from. See my thread on the V8 swap for details.

Electrics are the next piece. MB leaves a lot to be desired in this department, IMHO. For such wonderful mechanical engineering, their electrical engineering is flat awful. But, we have to work with what we are handed. The sweet spot for electronics will be the 2001-2004 model years, and those should be your target years for the project car. An SLK320 (or just buy an SLK32 AMG, and it's all done) will net you the Bosch ME2.8 ECU and the Siemens EGS52 TCU you are looking for. Making the jump to the supercharged engine or any flavor of V8 becomes elementary in this regard. To put it into perspective, I took the base normally aspirated (NA) V6 to a V8 Kompressor engine by adding the wiring for the IC pump (literally 1 relay), and had to solder 7 individual wires inside the ECU box, due only to a change in connectors. The whole wiring aspect took right at an hour. The rest plugged right in. Using the Pre-2001 car will no doubt net you more pain in this department.

From experience, I can tell you that you can arrive at the final destination in one of three ways. One will be to work with the very minimum you have to go buy, and cobble it together. Two will be to go with what is being suggested here. Three will be to pay someone else to do it all. The first will cost you exactly the same as the second option, but give you more frustration along the way. If you do manage to spend less, it will ultimately be an unreliable, hot mess. As a wise friend was fond of telling me, "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". The third option will require you to sell your first born, and leave you hollow and empty at having missed a life changing adventure in hot rodding.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
367 Posts
To interject here :) as an alternative how would a aftermarket TCU controlled 5G transmission go behind a aftermarket ECU'd engine all isolated from the original wiring and electronics? Get rid of the problematic Merc bits such as the anti theft and key stuff and independently wire up the essentials like lights, horn etc.

The worst part of these cars is their electrical complexity that can lead to all sorts of problems that require SDS to locate and even then.... Insurance and road worthy tests may be a problem but putting them aside for a moment............

·
6,996 Posts
Sorry to say it, but forget it, it will never work right with aftermarket ECU's :( We aren't building race cars here, with all their compromises and lack of real world driveabilty / reliabilty, we are discussiong building a way faster SLK that is still every bit as refined as the original Car, but is one helluva lot quicker.

The Merc bits are only problematic if you don't understand how it all works, and believe me when I say that is a steep learning curve ;)

The DAS / RF Module, Cluster, ABS / ESP, Transmission, Shifter and Engine Modules, (ECU's), all have to talk to each other via CAN Bus exactly as Mercedes intended, or it simply won't drive like it should, that aftermarket stuff will always be a compromise !!
The factory ECU's also work way way better than aftermarket stuff as well in terms of efficiency.

Just one simple thing, if you use an aftermarket Engine ECU you will end up with a V8 that goes no better than a 230K / V6 car. The reason the ME2.8 controlled Mercedes Engines go so well is due to multiple sparks that vary in timing on each firing cycle, I have explained the maths elsewhere on this forum, but roughly from memory each one of the 2 plugs per cylinder fire 5 times over a spread of variable degrees timing on every single power stroke :eek:

As for SDS, well everyone who owns and wants to work on a Mercedes should have it, let alone doing this sort of work ;)
You also need a Programmer of some sort, KTag is the bare minimum but glitchy with ME2.8 Eeprom Files as it won't write a full file.

The Drive Authorisation is fairly easy when you know how, well so is all of it, or just pay someone to do the ECU and TCU for the Car like @nemiro did ;)
He can testify that the guy I'm talking of is really really good, I did my ECU's myself but I did have some great help in the form explanations to point me away from rabbit warrens etc etc from both that guy in Australia and also a Russian friend ;)

What you are speaking of here is the exact reason why there are so many posts "I'm going to build an R170 yak yak yak with the V8 Engine outta my old CL500 jabber jabber jabber" ............. Next thing a month or a year down the line, when the nuts and bolts is all done it all goes quiet never to be heard from again :(

That's when they realise they will never get it going and have hacked all the wiring beyond recognition and along the way blown up a few modules trying 🤣

One final thing, don't forget the non electronic mods needed to build a really nice job, Brakes, Suspension and Wheel / Tyre upgrades (y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts