Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem?

It is a little above or below zero centigrade in UK now and I have noticed that things in my boot are very damp. The seals seem fine and I have silicon greased them. I did notice lots of condensation on the metal of the boot which seems very thin. I bought the car 2nd hand was there originally some insulation there?

Is there anything I can do to minimize this problem? I even emptied my garage recently so I could put it in there for the winter as I have a couple of other cars, however, it doesn't fit! I think the builder sized the garage for an original sized mini! I bet you guys in USA wouldn't have that problem :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
No there isn't supposed to be insulation in the top of the boot lid. Is the car being parked indoors (eg at work, heated garage). Once the car is acclimatized to the current temperature you shouldn't have any more condensation - it's caused by coming from warm/wet to a colder temperature.

Not sure if you can source some desiccant...
http://humantouchofchemistry.com/keeping-things-dry.htm

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Use search and have a look here.. One of the first DIY threads I ever saw here (circa 2yrs ago) involved padding the trunk with matching "leather". Similar look to the ebay link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I recently did a DIY job on this using some carpet tiles that I cut to size. However, it hasn't stopped my problem :(

I have applied some more silica grease to the seal and poured water around it to see where it is leaking but can't see anything. The towel I leave in the depression is sodden though after every rain storm so water is getting in somehow!

I have now covered up the car for the winter, but the cover isn't waterproof. I should have bought a proper heavy duty cover but spent too little. My first relatively cheap cover blew off in last year's gales. The next one I bought has a central cord so it hasn't blown away, but I find it at the back on the car after the slightest breeze. The elasticated bits just can't keep it on the car and it isn't waterproof. I have just bought some luggage straps which I have applied around the boot and bonnet to, hopefully, keep it in place.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trunk lid internal !

A question, the inside trunk lid of our red 170 is painted black. Is this standard, sorry for going off subject.

·
Registered
26 Posts
seahope

Hi there.
I had the same problem,think it now fixed,dry for a few days.
I discovered a ripped seal, noticed while lubricating the said seal.
I reglued the seal together using silicone glue and finally patched it with cycle repair kit.
And then relubed, if this does not fix it I need a neew seal set.
Remember the seals need to be checked with the roof partialy down for them to be inspected.
Guy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just condensation. I live in Alaska and have the same problems in the winter times. A lot of water collects in the truck lid and pours out when I open it up. I have a towel in there that catches the water when I open the lid, but I have to do so slowly or the water runs all over.
I tried to use a desiccant bag, but it couldn't keep up. I think the water has damaged my trunk latch since I have a difficult time closing the trunk now.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,645 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just condensation. I live in Alaska and have the same problems in the winter times. A lot of water collects in the truck lid and pours out when I open it up. I have a towel in there that catches the water when I open the lid, but I have to do so slowly or the water runs all over.
I tried to use a desiccant bag, but it couldn't keep up. I think the water has damaged my trunk latch since I have a difficult time closing the trunk now.
FYI this thread at least 7 years old

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.