Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the search and come up dry, so here goes. What do folks use for a repair manual? Found out the day I bought my 2001 320 that Mercedes apparently never made a paper version!!?? Is there a disc that does NOT have to have active internet to be functional? What then? Do you drag your expensive laptop out under the car with the road dirt and grease?

Just an old school fuddy duddy I guess!
Any insights would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good question. I'd like a Factory Service Manual as well as a Factory Parts Manual..at least something I can print pages from if necessary.

Carl B.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I, too have been looking for a good manual. The Chrysler Crossfire one that is downloadable is ok but doesn't have the detail I am looking for. I am not a parts swapper, but rather a rebuilder of parts. Mercedes has one that is on disc for $120. That seems to be a reasonable price since I bought a paper one back in 1978 for my 240D for $100. But if the MB manual only has the same information as the Crossfire manual, I will stay with the freebie one I downloaded. Does anyone know for sure if the manuals are similar ? The only thing I would need the MB one is for the wiring diagrams, since the Crossfire one is for 2004-5 models and has a lot more electronics than my '01 SLK and is therefore irrelevant for my purposes.
There are also ones on EBay that are going for a BIN price of $29.95. Are these any good? Are they legitimate copies? I have way too many questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost is not a major concern IF it's a decent manual. I paid $200 EACH for the TWO volume set from Lexus for my wife's ES300. At least they were paper and available for sale. Is the Crossfire similar enough to be worth it? My current problem involves the top which is cloth on Chrysler. Is the mechanism the same? Haynes has a manual, a bit limited and simplistic, but helpful and cheap, for the CLK320 which is sometimes helpful, but is obviously for a different car. As far as I could find a the time, neither Haynes or Chilton made one for SLK. Though of course Haynes makes one for the far more popular and common Klingon Bird of Prey!!!!!!! Maybe if enough folks wrote to them requesting it they would make one for SLK. Seems like if they can do CLK.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.