Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please chime in on this subject to make a definitive thread for others to use.

I have searched the forum archives and elsewhere for a link or source for a R170 service manual. What I have found is:

1) The CDs and paper copies once were sold by Mercedes

2) The Star Service Manual disks are no longer sold by MB
3) Forum members have tried to post links to and pdfs of service manuals in the past and have been deleted
4) Sometimes the CDs or hard copies can be found on ebay, Don't see much there at this time.
5) There are seemingly hundreds of manual supply sites that will bait and switch with promises of any manual ever written.
6) The Crossfire manuals are somewhat helpful if they can be found.

7) The source for MB Star Service Manuals is now by subscription to:

https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/subscribe2.jsp
Which shows prices of $60/Day, $160/week, $289/month, and $3098/year.

So WTH are SLK owners who unfortunately did not have the foresight to own their vehicles while the documents were readily available supposed to do? How does the StarTek work? Can you subscribe for a day and download/print all the copies of the pertinent manual that you want? Do they have a teutonic virus that makes them expire and your cart shut down after the subscription ends? (note: shouldn't give them ideas) The daily or weekly subscription rates may be actually cost effective for small projects if the info can be downloaded and preserved.

I understand some corporate M(AH)BA dreamed up the notion of making cars a constant revenue stream instead of just modular sales, but I don't want the entire MB catalog, just the manual for something that has been out of production for 15 years. Grrrrrrr. The subscription structure is obviously pointed at larger shop operations.

But that aside, how do the savvy forum members handle this need for information? Inquiring roadsters need to know. Please post what you do! This might be the most important central function of the forum. Even more than pictures of kittens in SLKs.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,852 Posts
@i860

unless they subscribe to mb services like
XENTRY Support

or buy das/star laptops on ebay

they will be violating mb c opyrights

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi,

My advice is to anyone who works on their Car is to buy the Star Das SDS laptop, with Multiplexer and lead kit, it has all the manuals parts catalogues and diagnostic functions, +++++++++++ that you will ever need and covers all MB Models, costs circa £400 upwards.

Failing that, if you are one of the guys who "doesn't need SDS" then buy the WIS EPC disc set and load it onto a laptop, circa £10 - £20 ................

Then you can buy the SDS when you find out that yes, you actually do need it because other machines are nowhere near capable enough on MB's, especially one that costs less than £400 :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,044 Posts
"3) Forum members have tried to post links to and pdfs of service manuals in the past and have been deleted
4) Sometimes the CDs or hard copies can be found on ebay, Don't see much there at this time."

Bit of a catch 22 on this.

As a forum we are not able to condone a breach of copyrighted material.
Often the case with these links, including some that are know scams (you pay, but get zilch in return).
Both of these instances result in removal and the poster being informed why as well as removal of the post.

The members with the tech gift have posted on systems that gain legit access and give better information when scanning. I think prices start circa £400.

As well as i860, I think Dave2303 (mentions removed as they are already aware) has previously explained these systems.

As SLK/C owners ourselves & a desire to help fellow members (where the info that you refer to would be handy),
I can assure you that this is not a case of Big Brother, but one of the conditions imposed on the team by the forum owners.
Last thing we want is the owners closing our site due to breaches of copyright.
That wouldn't help any of us.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,044 Posts
As a reminder, the rules etc are here: https://www.slkworld.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules

The bit that relates is

6. copyright-protected material. Members agree not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right. This includes but is not limited to magazine, book and newspaper scans, television broadcasts and copyrighted images and photos. You may post a small snippet of an article, but you may not post the full text. Please provide a link (if possible) to the material.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,852 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts