Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to reset the service indicator on my MY2001 UK spec R170 (320). I've followed the instructions in the manual very carefully, and all seems to go fine, but the indicator just won't reset.

It's displaying a negative number of days, meaning it's past its service. It has of course been serviced, but the indicator hasn't been reset.

Any information on how to reset it?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,095 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section.

Do a search to reset fss

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at Arms

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I thought if one is past service due date, it will display + and not - ; Correct me if I am wrong (not familiar with R170).

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I would say that 99% of the time the problem is operator error. Clear your mind of what you think they want you to do, get in, close the door and follow the instructions exactly.

Len

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say that 99% of the time the problem is operator error. Clear your mind of what you think they want you to do, get in, close the door and follow the instructions exactly.

Len
Thank you for the suggestion. While I agree with you that this is the most obvious answer, I have tried (again!), with the same result.

Maybe I am misunderstanding a step.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. While I agree with you that this is the most obvious answer, I have tried (again!), with the same result.

Maybe I am misunderstanding a step.
Yeah, I had the same problem on my 210 chassis when I first tried it. Went through the steps a couple of times until it worked and I remember thinking to myself, "Oh, so that's what the Germans meant by that." :)

Len

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If that were the case, why is the negative number increasing every day?
An older thread, but I was still looking for the answer to this . . .

Normally the indicator is counting down to the expected service (certainly in miles, I would assume that days would follow the same pattern) so it is saying 500 miles to go, 400 to go, 300, 200, 100, 0. Then, the only way they could differentiate it once past that point was to go negative -100, -200, -300 etc. meaning past due. Certainly they could have chosen either direction, but I haven't seen any indication that it is user selectable.

I had the same issue with trying to get mine to reset but I JUST got mine to work. You really do have to follow the instructions exactly. (At least that is how mine worked. I just reset it though, I didn't change modes!)

So, to review:
1) Turn the key to position 2,
2) Quickly press the odometer reset stalk in twice. (In no more than 4 seconds.)
The current setting will show,
3) Then quickly turn the key back to off. (In no more than 10 seconds.)
Now,
4) Press the odo reset stalk in and hold it.
5) Turn the key to position 2,
6) Wait for a bit and the display will turn to 10000. (For US miles.)

I can't remember hearing the beep . . . I was just surprised that it now showed 10000. When I cycled the key back to 0 and then restarted the car, no more indicator! (I'll see in 9000 miles or so if it worked properly.)

Hope that helps.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,095 Posts
Thanks! but yes, an old thread as
G Howlerson has not been back on since: Last Activity: 06-14-2011

:D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts