Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 slk320 with a rough ride. looking to replace shocks/suspension. the shocks front and rear are coded V5 for the front and H5 for the rear. images attached. Ive got 140000 miles and Im the fourth owner. A drive of 80 miles or so is grueling. Im looking for suggestions of shock/spring combinations.

My tires are 225/40zr-17 rear and
225/45zr-17xl front

rear will need to be replaced within 6 months.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,847 Posts
Tire air pressure within specs per decal on fuel filler door? Original loaded pressures (max) knocked fillings out :wink: Reduced to min on decal and much improved ride.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
sports car and harsh ride go hand in hand. New shocks will only make it feel harsher, but it will improve "feel".

The harsh ride is what made me fall in love with the car on my first test drive - It felt like I was actually planted to the road!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wheels appear to be aftermarket. See image.

Back of the wheel embossed with:

Wheel 8 1/2 J x 17 H2
ET30
PONEL :eek:r: RONEL
S27 wa

Looks like the recommended tire is 225/45 as opposed to 225/40. Will that make a big difference?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
My wheels appear to be aftermarket. See image.

Back of the wheel embossed with:

Wheel 8 1/2 J x 17 H2
ET30
PONEL :eek:r: RONEL
S27 wa

Looks like the recommended tire is 225/45 as opposed to 225/40. Will that make a big difference?

It will make a difference in as much that the sidewalls between fronts and rears are way out of kilter.
Effectively, your front tyres will have a lot more 'give' in them than the rears and should result in an interesting ride

If you have the same wheels all around, namely the ET30 offset, and not ET30 and ET37 like most of us on 17"s have, I think I'd try swapping the fronts and rears for now to firm up the steering and soften the rear just to see how it goes ..

You have:

225/45 = 101.25mm sidewall height - FRONT

225/40 = 90mm sidewall height - REAR

Recommended:

225/45 = 101.25mm sidewall height - FRONT

225/45 = 101.25mm sidewall height - REAR
or
245/40 = 98mm sidewall height - REAR

As you can see, you are running with IRO 10% less sidewall on the rears than is recommended

HTH

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you can see, you are running with IRO 10% less sidewall on the rears than is recommended

HTH
IRO?

my message is too short so I'll add that my front wheels are ET36. almost 37...

Thank you for your help. Is there a glossary somewhere?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
IRO?

IRO In Respect Of

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
IRO?

Aahh .. you can't swap them around then, that buggers that one up - Press the link I put in post #3 and scroll down to find the SLKs for full recommended tyre/wheel sizes and offset glossary

Sorry … IRO - In Region Of (close, near enough, approx, ish) >:D

HTH

·
Registered
878 Posts
sports car and harsh ride go hand in hand. New shocks will only make it feel harsher, but it will improve "feel".
Not always, shocks have 2 failure modes. Either they become extremely harsh or they stop doing any damping and let the car bounce around. i seem to get more issues where the ride just starts to get really harsh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts