Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good program over here in UK, they buy used cars for a bargain and fix em up for a profit. Here they get a 200k, fix a dead roof, replace the kompressor and a few other bits. Enjoy :tu:

Part1

Part2

Part 3

Part 4

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,465 Posts
Haven't watched that video yet, but I can sit and watch that show for hours. I really enjoyed the C2 Corvette they did! I've watched as many as 4 shows in a row one evening! LOL

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,465 Posts
Darn it, I couldn't stay away, I watched the whole thing! The car reminds me of "Lawnmower", my SLK I sold last fall when I bought Fastdawg! (my 350 MT)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Math doesn't work

I loved watching all 4 videos. And I loved they way they went about repairing the SLK very sequentially.

But the Math does not work. Bought the car for just over 2K, put almost 1K into parts, and sold the car for 3,650.00

They said they made a great profit. But where I come from someone has to pay for the labour, so the 650.00 'profit' is more like a 1k loss if you take into account the labour.

Again. love what they have done but the numbers are really deceiving if you don't budget in the labour costs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wheeler Dealers NEVER factor in the labour costs. Mike Brewer has been criticized over this for years but insists on keeping the same format. I too love the show but always belly-laugh when Ed China pulls out the latest plasma lithium crystal techno-tool just like he had it laying around in the back of the workshop.

Quite a few of their cars appear for sale on Pistonheads or ebay over here too

Good clean fun tho/...:tu:

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,465 Posts
They had a show where they replaced the frame on a Morgan and replaced the front and pretty much back suspension too if I remember correctly which required complete dis-assembly of the car nearly. I think they mention in the show they had about 130 hours of labor into the car, instead of the 150/160 that the Morgan factory estimated they'd need. They made a lot of money on the car, but again didn't factor in the labor costs. I still love the show though. I wish they'd bring in a basket case R171, I really enjoyed the R170 show!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
it wouldn't make sense for the show to have a labour cost figure, as I've always taken it the idea behind the show is to reflect someone doing the repairs themselves.

Showing a labour time wouldn't be useful either, as people work at different speeds and skill levels.

It's simply a case of balancing the profit against how long the person thinks it will take to do the work and determining if it's worthwhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts