Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum. Im looking to buy the instrument cluster trim, the top and lower sections, and the main light switch/fuse box assy. My car is a R/H drive pre facelift R170. The price from a main dealer is horrendous, I am willing to pay a good price and any postage if anybody can help. Many Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for your response. I did think of trying a German site but fear that they will all be Left Hand drive??

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I also was looking for those two parts too and found no result in Australia over some months.
Few wreckers with SLKs and the ones they have are picked clean to the bone.
I often buy parts from these guys in Canberra, they are easy to deal with,
know their Mercedes, and seem to have the best prices for new stock.
Mercedes-Benz Spare Parts Online store..
The switch was almost half the price the dealers wanted.

Prices in USA often seem better, but I am yet to find a good supplier that ships here.
With exchange rate, shipping and risk, it all gets marginal.
Too often the part needed is RHD , so US will not stock it.
RHD and LHD headlight switches are not the same by the way.

In the past, I have rung a dealer in UK and they had better prices, and would ship here,
but would not accept a credit card number for an overseas card (just policy they said).
So I had a mate buy it there and post it for me, and I sent him the money.
This was a part that was listed here as $1400, but 270 Pounds UK !
with DHL shipping it cost me a total of $600 (heavy part).
So on the next trip to UK, I am taking a shopping list.
The savings would pay for the airfare for parts that would fit in hand luggage.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Pictor and thank you very much for the useful information. I do have family and friends in UK so its a very possible option for me, I will search later today and let you know how I get on. If I am successful is there anything you need that could be sent at the same time?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Elmer and thank you also for some great information. This really is a great worldwide site. I will contact the company you mention later today. I would love to restore my car back to pristine condition but it has to be at a sensible cost. The other option is to upgrade to a newer SLK

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Clive

Thanks for your response, sadly I have ordered new parts through MB Spares in Canberra and they should arrive this week. Their prices were fabulous compared to main dealers. I do have other issues with my car, but have not managed to diagnose the problems yet, it seems it almost impossible to get a wiring diagram for this car. If you have any leads in that respect I would be most grateful.

Bryn

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Avel Du

Thanks for responding, I have ordered the parts from a supplier in Canberra. Finding a wiring diagram is a big problem for me, do you have any leads in that respect?

bryn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts