Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on something:

My previous SLK 230 had 18" wheels from, I believe, a mid 2000s E class. I thought it looked fantastic (see below).

My current car has the OEM 16" alloys which seem a little underwhelming in comparison IMO.

I'm considering changing them but the previous car on 245/40/18 tyres tramlined terribly, the slightest ripple in the road would have it darting about all over the place. In short really scary and dangerous. I know that when I took the car for an MOT test it needed new bottom arms and top mounts which I assume may have contributed to this behaviour.

My question really is, if you are running 18" rims is there an optimum rim width/tyre size that does work well for the SLK , or should I leave well alone?

Would a set of period correct 17" rims have as pronounced an effect or would that be my best compromise?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

20200815_181150.jpg

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,272 Posts
@JasonH1969 when posting pics, only hit thumbnail OR full size, not both. I fixed.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
522 Posts
"
My question really is, if you are running 18" rims is there an optimum rim width/tyre size that does work well for the SLK , or should I leave well alone?
Hi Jason
I'm running 18" rims on my 32 having come from 19" !
The ride is a lot better now, maybe the 19" wheels were a step too far ?
My staggered set up is 9" rears with 255/35 ZR's and 8" fronts with 225/40 ZR's.
The body panels and brake calipers have no problem with these, and she handles just great.

See what they look like in my signature

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, your wheels look great. I think the combination of the bigger wheels with the very worn suspension components was exaggerating the tramlining on my car. I might try something bigger as I know it's all in good shape on this car. Wish I hadn't sold those wheels with it now!!

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
522 Posts
Well if you want to try 19" wheels on your car to see what they look like, I've still got them !
You're quite welcome to travel to south Wales,when the current restrictions allow, and try them for yourself.
Here's what they looked like when I was running them.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if you want to try 19" wheels on your car to see what they look like, I've still got them !
You're quite welcome to travel to south Wales,when the current restrictions allow, and try them for yourself.
Here's what they looked like when I was running them.
View attachment 585817
That's really decent of you. I don't think I'd go up to 19" to be fair but they look very impressive. Your car looks superb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts