Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
* Registered
R170 SLK 200 K, year 2002
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steering lock had been stiff for a while, should have fixed it but didn't.

One day it wouldn't turn at all.

I removed the lock and, holding the key fob in place so the immobiliser would go off, I turned the ignition on using a screwdriver in the bit with the wires on the back.

The engine fired up for a couple of seconds, then cut out. Now, the lights in the dash go on, but nothing happens when I try to start the engine, except the message 'start error' in the place where the mileage is usually indicated.

Any ideas how to start it? I can change the lock later, am not worried about security. Screwdriver and a hidden switch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,513 Posts
I can change the lock later, am not worried about security. Screwdriver and a hidden switch.
No, you cant, the reason it says "Start Error" is that the Transponder Chip inside the Key has to be read by the Induction Coil around the Ignition Lock Barrel, which then sends the Key Transponder code to the DAS / RF Module behind the Cluster, which in turn sends a Signal via CAN Bus to Engine Motor ECU, if any of those signals are not present no Crank and No Start !!

You need a new Steering lock ASAP, hopefully you didn't destroy the Lock Barrel, if you did you will also need a new Barrel with Key Blade, and you will have to fit that Key Blade into your existing Fob, as that contains not only the Immobiliser Transponder Chip, but also the RF Circuit Board to work your Central Locking ;)

HTH :)

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't it the lock barrel that's at fault in the first place?

Can change the whole steering lock if necessary, as it's out, can anyone please tell me how to get the old ignition barrel out of the lock mechanism? Pleeeeease.

·
4,513 Posts
Put Key in it ....

Turn to position 1 ....

Now turn the outer black metal ring 90 degrees ....

Pull the Barrel out as well as the Black metal ring ....

Note the position of the Barrel as it comes out, as it only goes in one way, will not go in 180 out and it is fiddly to get it in anyways as you have to hold the Barrel in line whilst pushing down the locking bar that is under the Black metal ring and sliding the black ring down over the ally casting at the same time .................

You'll see how it works when you got it out ;) .....................

As they say .....................

Re assembly is the reversal of the dismantling procedure :D :D :D ....

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave. Only one problem, as mentioned in first post... The key won't turn in the lock, that's the issue. If that is the only was to do it, I'll have to change the whole thing, steering lock as well. Would a secondhand one work if I can't get a new one? It's not programmed as well?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,653 Posts
.. and if you file down or take the tumblers out when you've done that, it won't stick

·
2,653 Posts

·
4,513 Posts
Nothing to stop you fitting another complete Steering Lock, Drive Authorisation is only the Transponder Chip inside the Key Fob, DAS / RF Module and ME ECU.

Personally I'd do my best to get it to turn to pos 1 using every trick in the book, and then you can just swap the Barrel, assuming the problem isn't the actual Steering Lock itself, or the Ign Switch.

Swapping a Barrel is much much easier than the whole chebang ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
2,653 Posts
Love that bit about the body massager, reminds me of when I put in a search for Custom Speedos and ended up with loads of pics of nearly-naked-men all wearing the budgie smugglers :oops:

** slinks off back to the naughty step 🙃

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The video "worn tumbler replacement" was informative, but did involve turning the key to position 1....

Hindsight is so useful eh, I should have fixed it before it stuck.

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Happy New Year Everyone. Sorry for the delay, other things have been happening.

I took the whole thing to my local key man, to see if he could remove the barrel. Good news, he did. Bad news, it's not the barrel that's broken, it's the other part.

Brand new one available on ebay, genuine part from the U.S. of A, same price as used one from UK. Incidentally I'm still out of the UK, in Europe.

Will it fit? Looks right, but second opinion often useful.

·
4,513 Posts
Looks to me like it will, it looks identical to my spare one ....

HTH ;)

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right. Finally got round to it. I have ordered one from my local MB main dealer and it was only slightly more expensive than one from fleabay, plus no waiting for post, which is taking forever at the mo.

However, it doesn't come with barrel and key, so will use the old one.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It doesn't come with that little black rectangular electrónic thing either. Just to the left of the key barrel in the above photo. Is it easily removeable? One of those things that is easy if you know how. Twice i have taken the dashboard out of a Twingo. Took 2 hours the first time, 18 minutes the second....

·
4,513 Posts
Easy, go to MB and buy a new Micro Switch, slide it in from the top until the Clips engage ;)

If you can turn the old Lock to position 1 or 2 with the Key then it will push upwards and off with firm Thumb Pressure from below where the Contact is ......................

But if you can't turn it you have no chance, the Switches little Actuator Pin will just snap off !!

HTH :)

Reactions: Harvestmouse

·
* Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or, as the old unit is cream-crackered anyway, I could chop it up with an angle grinder and remove the micro switch. What does it switch, anyway?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts