Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hopefully someone here will be able to advise or maybe has had a similar problem.

History: 2 weeks ago the car lost a lot of coolant, there was no rough running or plumbs of smoke. I replaced the coolant and it has been fine since.

Yesterday on my journey to work I lost all power (no fault light)and came to a halt. Through a bit of knowledge (mainly reading articles on this site) I striped the maf and discovered it was covered in a yellow milky type substance, I managed to clean it up at the road side and get into work. I checked the maf again and it was coated yet again.

I proceeded in cleaning the system out from the oil separator through to the throttle body (will do the intercooler at the weekend). There was lots of moisture coming from the oil separator and has now ruined the air filter. I suspect this is where my coolant disappeared to 2 weeks earlier what is confusing is why the coolant has remained constant after it was topped up.

If anyone has had a similar issue or has any thoughts the help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Oil has been checked its between the marks. It's old and does need changing but no water in it.
Well, in your despair, that is a bit of good news.

No idea of how the coolant got into your intake? Is the intercooler stock? If so, it is air to air so there is no water dissipating the heat and I cannot think of another way the coolant would get into your intake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm taking a few days off work as need to get to the bottom of this. I am still expecting it to be the dreaded head gasket but will do the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did when it lost all the coolant 2 weeks ago but ever since it has been absolutely fine and not lost a drop. Have covered about 500 miles also.
My car is just strange.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
It did when it lost all the coolant 2 weeks ago but ever since it has been absolutely fine and not lost a drop. Have covered about 500 miles also.
My car is just strange.
Uh oh again. Can you do a compression test or pressure test the coolant system? Doing a pressure test on the coolant system may show you where the leak is too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a fun filled day. I managed to strip out and clean the intercooler it was full of yellow sludge hopefully this will stop the maf from getting coated for a little while, had a good look around no signs of leaks I was a little disappointed as I am still unsure where my coolant went now. But it's a few jobs ticked just unfortunate I found a few more to add.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.