Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Got my first SLK 320 a couple of weeks ago. However it is possibly the worst handling car I have ever had. Can some kind soul advise if this is to be expected or is just that I am unlucky with previous owners choice of tyre Pirelli P6000's all round.

Any advice will be gratefully received

P.s. Other than that absolutely love it, looking forward to some roof down action

F)

·
Registered
323 Posts
actually,the slk's 200,230,320, 32...etc are known for their superb handling.

Did you have this car fully inspected by a mercedes benz dealer?

alignment check, your arm bushings might be worn....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello, and welcome ! I bought my 2001 SLK320 last year, and it had P6000 all round on 16" rims, and IMHO it handles fine. Just replaced the rears with Goodyear F1 GS-D3s and it does seem better, but the P6000s were Ok, and to be honest they were quite worn as well.

What are your exact concerns ? Regards Damian. :)

PS - What year & mileage is your 320 ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
My own experience with the Pirelli P6000 was a mixed one. Few years ago I installed a set of 4 new Pirelli P6000 on my Fiat Punto. The handling was really great, but after around one year, the grip started fading away, so I went back to Michelin tires. Could have been a bad batch, but never had that issue with Michelin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say bad I mean yesterday roads were wet and temp about 1.0c at 40 back end started to weave and front end seems to follow any minor tramline in surface. Came from Celica and that was so sure footed even in 2-3" of snow. Car is a 2002 with 70k on clock

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I say bad I mean yesterday roads were wet and temp about 1.0c at 40 back end started to weave and front end seems to follow any minor tramline in surface. Came from Celica and that was so sure footed even in 2-3" of snow. Car is a 2002 with 70k on clock
Hello, my 320 is a 2001 with 95000 miles, it had P6000`s on it when i got in March last year at 92000 miles. They had good tread on the front when i bought it, but the rears were getting low. I have to admit that looking at the fronts further they were either 2004 or 2005 tyres, but still had good tread, maybe they are Too good wearing for the cars driving dynamics ?

I have just put Eagle F1`s on the rear (225/50x16) and they do seem to have improved both grip and noise levels, hope this info helps, regards Damian. :)

PS - Not sure if this would help but, is the steering damper leaking ? I changed the one on mine shortly after purchase, it was shot !!!

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,161 Posts
Are those tires performance tires? Are they supposed to be run in those cold temperatures? Some tread patterns do have grooves that run the direction of travel and will "tramline". Doesn't feel nice when it happens, but if that is the problem, it is not the car that is causing it.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Was the vehicle ever inspected by an indy to make sure the suspension and steering components are in good order?

Are the tires rated for winter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most of the issues have been covered here, but I will summarize where I would start
1) tires - All season if you are going to drive around 0 degrees C or below. The rubber in summer tires gets hard and won't grip. Also check the tire pressure.
2) Steering damper - This is really common problem on an R170. I had to replace mine.
3) Shocks - Mine are fine at 60K, but if they are worn handling suffers.
4) Wheel Alignment?
5) Suspension wear - This seems to be a common problem, but I haven't had a problem with it yet.
6) Is everything tight ? It seems obvious but I have seen cars with loose lug nuts (these are lug bolts).

My 320 handles great. It sticks to the corners like glue. The steering feed back isn't the greatest, but the car handles nicely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have some Hankook Ventus Prime K105's in my shed thinking about getting them swapped on to front rims and then buy the same for rear. When on my Celica stuck to the road like preverbial S**T

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had exactly the same problem and have more or less resolved it.

For starters, anything with wide tyres is hyper-sensitive to tyre condition. If you are in the slightest doubt thrown two new tyres on the front. I checked all the suspension and steering bushes for wear and damage. The only thing I found was the steering damper was completely knackered - no resistance at all (you have to unbolt it at one end to check). That and the tyres made all the difference - it was probably mostly the tyres though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers

I gonna get it MOT'd v soon so that should show up any probs. I know the guy so I'll ask him to check the damper. Got access to a four post lift so should be easy to sort if it is just that.

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
29 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Primacy's and they stick like glue. They will probaly only last another 5K miles at which point I'll have to find a competent shop to mount, balance, and install new tires while checking the usual suspects: alignment, springs, dampers, bushes, tie rods, ball joints, and steering damper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Celica's have been front wheel drive since 1985 but your SLK is rear wheel drive. Compairing the two is like chicken and beef and you will never get the SLK to have the same handling characteristics as a front wheel drive car. Front wheel drive is better for wet and snow but isnt as good as rear wheel drive on the track.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.