Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've just bought a glovebox for my 170 because the old one is ugly.
Two questions:
  1. Do I have to swap locks so that the new glovebox suits my key?
  2. The new glovebox has some paint and micro-scratches on it. Before painting it, I want to sand it down. Is it a good idea? Which sandpaper would you use on its plastic?

Thanks!

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,999 Posts
For painting:

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,005 Posts
On phone which makes searching a pain, but there are several threads on refurb in both the 170 diy Amg 170 general sections including videos.
Also vids on YouTube
I suspect you will need to swap locks or add another key to your collection.

·
*Registered
734 Posts
In regards to key/lock, you have it with you, try it! I did not lock mine, even with top down, but I do not leave the car a mile away with top down.

Don't sandpaper it, the texture will be gone! Disassemble the facial part and use warm water + cleaners to remove then paint and as you can guess there are plenty of DIY on paint restoration on the forum. Somehow I can't find my pics from the bath full of plastics and...Will update if found.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In regards to key/lock, you have it with you, try it! I did not lock mine, even with top down, but I do not leave the car a mile away with top down.
Yes you're right. It was just for me a way to redo it completely and properly but that's not that important!

Don't sandpaper it, the texture will be gone! Disassemble the facial part and use warm water + cleaners to remove then paint and as you can guess there are plenty of DIY on paint restoration on the forum. Somehow I can't find my pics from the bath full of plastics and...Will update if found.
Yes painting will be OK for me since I've already done it.
Ok no sandpaper, I'll try warm water and overall, 2 paint layers :)

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts
Assuming your Key works the Lock on your Car, just swap locks over, you really should remove it prior to painting anyways to do a professional job ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts
Without typing out millions of words ....

It's easy when you've done it once !!

With that in mind, dismantle the original one first, it doesn't matter if you have to damage that one as long as you are careful not to damage the lock, then you will see how it comes apart and if needs be you can damage the lock in the "new one" but not the lid itself ................

There is probably a "how to" somewhere on the forum if you search ;)

Simples as the Meerkats say (y)

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without typing out millions of words ....

It's easy when you've done it once !!

With that in mind, dismantle the original one first, it doesn't matter if you have to damage that one as long as you are careful not to damage the lock, then you will see how it comes apart and if needs be you can damage the lock in the "new one" but not the lid itself ................

There is probably a "how to" somewhere on the forum if you search ;)

Simples as the Meerkats say (y)
Ok I'll give a chance to myself, should be OK that way 😉 thanks @Dave2302 !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts