Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members!

I just changed my fuel filter and wanted to share some pictures on how to do it. Basically I used this guide http://r170slk.com/fuel-filter-replacement/
Great thanks to him!

Took some pictures along the way and tried to make it more detailed for our forum! Took me about 20 mins (had just enough space under the car)

Things you need:
1) Car ramps (ask your friends if they have one)
2) 10mm socket
3) Philips screwdriver
4) 4 new fuel line clamps (get some extra just in case). Stock Mercedes ones are pretty hard to snap back in. :biglaugh:
4) Gloves
5) Some container to catch spilled fuel (not a big one about half a quart)
6) a rag (to catch little drops)
7) May be 1 gallon gas can (filled) so you can reach the nearest gas station after successful job ;)

Back up your car on car ramps. Make sure the position is even and secure. Ask someone to guide while you're backing up! Put in Park and apply handbrake!
Before you start doing anything: The tank must be almost empty. I had around a gallon in it. Disconnect the negative battery terminal to depressurize the fuel system and to eliminate occasional spark :)

Then remove the plastic shield that covers the fuel filter and pump. It is held by 3 plastic nuts (Use 10mm socket). So be careful when tightening them back!
First 2 are located towards the front of the car:

Third nut is located to the back of the car on a long "arm" of the plastic shield, all the way up :). You might need an extension to reach it.

Ok, now we have our shield removed and we have perfect access to our fuel filter:

Next thing you need to do is to get your draining container and a rug close by to catch spills. (I spilled about less than half a quart). Please, Note the direction of the filter and to where each hose connects to! You might wanna mark them not to forget! Release 4 clamps (2 on each side). I just started squeezing them and they released. Make sure you don't damage hoses!
Passenger side (right):

Now driver's side (left). After you released all clamps and disconnected hoses, you need to loosen one screw that's tightening fuel pump and a fuel filter. (Use Philips screwdriver).

Now, simply replace the fuel filter. Assemble everything in reverse order. You might want to use new clamps since stock ones doesn't snap back in that easily. At least I couldn't get the smallest one but left 3 back in place ;) Note: Be careful when tightening clamps. Do not over tighten and damage the hose!
Here's a picture of the new filter:

Before putting plastic shield back in start the car and check for any leaks. If everything's fine, reinstall plastic shield.
Congratulations! You're done!

Now, the most fun part :biglaugh: Some of you may wonder what's inside of this filter? What is it made of?

I used some brute force and opened it:

No rocket science, right?! Plastic tube and a regular filter material.

A few words from myself. I own my car for 4 years and hell knows when was the last time somebody changed this fuel filter... I used only Shell V-Power gas. (Please, don't consider me an idiot but I take care of my sweetheart! It's either high-quality way or get another car). Not a gallon of regular gas during my use! Sometimes I do add Chevron with techron. I would say every 4,000-6,000 miles. To tell the truth, I was surprised how clean the filter was!!! Not a single residue, dirt, sand or whatsoever. It only means to me that the gas I use is really a good one!

Hope I was a little of help today!

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts
Great job and additional pics! I am glad you are a member of our team!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
If only the R171 was that easy.

Sigh . . .

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Fuel filter is an every five years or 60K miles job. Based on your experience and mine, I think that is reasonable assuming you are using the proper fuel.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Great job! I replaced mine too, bit i only had two hoses on mine...must just be a modification they made from 1998 to 2002. Great minds think a like....I cut mine open too hehehehe....had the same results! :tu: Some how i had 31 mpg with a clogged air filter, and that fuel filter bringing it home from Florida from sitting for 5 years...go figure.. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for the post and pictures....tomorrow is the first day above 40 degrees here in Louisville, KY so I have much planned for my SLK320.

I'm using this guide and others DIY posted on this site in attempts to replace:
Fuel Filter
Spark plugs and wires
Valve Cover Gasket
Air filter and Cabin Air Filter

I believe this is all do'able in a days work but if anyone knows a good link to replacing automatic transmission fluid pls let me know as that is my next project lineup as my SLK is approach 65k MILES and it's 13th birthday in April.

Thanks to all that post and help those like myself out that can't afford Mercedes tech labor prices. My recommended action plan from my local dealership quoted the jobs i listed above at over $3,000 which is almost ludacris considering they admitted it would only take a half day to complete.

-Jacob McKenna Louisville, Kentucky

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
First, I love this forum!

Second, Does brand of fuel filter really matter with the r170 slk230? I can't tell who the OEM is because I'm seeing online it's either Mann or Mahle but there's plenty of aftermarket filters out there that fit my car. This is my next DIY project because dealership is quoting $290 and a local indie mechanic is quoting me $120 to replace the fuel filter. Any advise on the different brands out there? ImageUploadedByAG Free1421620922.933632.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1421620939.254895.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered 2002 SLK200
51 Posts
I did mine the other day and used a Mann filter, MB quoted me something like £90, for a filter.. I paid £39 and it took no more than 2 hours to change. Runs a lot smoother, feels more responsive too. I'd also changed the oil as it was due.

Previous change at 45k (previous owner MB service record), currently at 97k.

I only use v-power fuel for reference.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
OE from Mercedes is most likely a Mann. They use Mann, Hengst and Knecht/Mahle for pretty much all of their filters in their cars. You should be safe using a Mann not made in China.

·
Registered
18 Posts
did Mercedes use only 4 port filters on the R170? I havent removed the cover yet but bought a replacement that was only 2 ports

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
219 Posts
I did mine last weekend but didn't want to wait until the tank was empty so as per WIS I just put a pipe clamp on the inlet hose to the fuel pump. Worked fine with only the contents of the filter coming out during the job. The filter that came out was quite corroded. WIS say there should be a plastic sleeve on the filter presumably to stop corrosion due to electrolytic action between the ali body of the filter and the steel clamp. There wasn't one on mine and I have not seen it mentioned by anyone doing this job or in any of the photos. Anybody seen one?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.