Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some odd sounds from the clutch in the 2001 R170 that I bought in August 2011. The independent garage that I use diagnosed a failing throwout bearing assembly. That was verified during disassembly.

After separating the clutch from the rest of the drivetrain, they also discovered that the pilot bearing in the flywheel was failing, threatening to make a mess of the input shaft to the transmission. To get the car back on the road quickly, we ordered a new flywheel assembly.

Now that everything back together and running beautifully, I had the thought that it's a shame to discard a perfectly serviceable flywheel assembly simply because the pilot bearing is hurt. I instructed the mechanic to find a new bearing and press it into place.

The new flywheel assembly from Mercedes was about $1100 USD. If someone out there thinks they'll need a flywheel assembly. Contact me via this forum, and we'll work out the pricing details.

I am also offering it locally (the garage specializes in German vehicles) so availability isn't guaranteed. Nevertheless, there are so few stick shift R170's in the world (about 4400 were manufactured, I think), I don't think there'll be a crowd of takers in the city of Raleigh, NC. That's why I'm posting this notice out to a larger group of potentially interested parties.

Happy motoring everyone!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.