Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering a different grill for my SLK320. Prefer something simpler but having trouble deciding between a 171ish nose piece or something more conventional (see below). Am concerned that the black plastic around the tristar on the top one will look rong on a 170 but the bottom one seems to have more chrome. One narrow bar is ok but not the surround. Opinions please ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,186 Posts
Prefer the lower grill for the 170, but with the upper star.
Don't like the mesh in the lower star.

But that's looking at the parts in isolation.
Could look different on the car.

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, really prefer just the tristar surround in chrome, do not like seeing the rest as in the current grille but think it may need a thin horizontal bar to break up the black.

Nose was one of the things on a 171 I really liked but for me the 170 package suits me better.

·
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thought but that many bars looks like a Chrysler, just a single thin bar on either side of the tristar sounds good. Found the two in the firstl post and lean toward the top one but not sure about the tristar pedestal that is supposed to look like a 171.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,852 Posts
Hi @Padgett

I went through the same exercise as you after getting my '320 and the threads discussing it may give you some ideas...

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/332177-clk-grille-conversion-anyone.html
http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/421090-new-grille.html

For me the '171 lookalike doesn't sit at all right on the car and I don't like the fact that it is not integrated into the bonnet/hood.

If you search for SLK CLK grilles and click on images you can get a feel for what's out there. And if you're lucky enough to find a used part (rather than brand new) you'll likely have a star already located in the middle of your grille!! It may therefore be worth deciding what you want and setting up an eBay search for that and sitting and waiting for a grille to drop into your email inbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.