Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been preparing my SLK R170 engine bay for a repaint and among other things I have removed all the partly damaged factory seam sealer. I was going to apply brushable sealer on the same places to imitate the original factory look but now I really don't know. It looks now quite neat around the bay without the seam sealer and what's more, to my mind there was sealer in some places where it is not needed at all. Of course, there are a couple of spots where the sealer is important but mostly it looks unnecessary. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have been preparing my SLK R170 engine bay for a repaint and among other things I have removed all the partly damaged factory seam sealer. I was going to apply brushable sealer on the same places to imitate the original factory look but now I really don't know. It looks now quite neat around the bay without the seam sealer and what's more, to my mind there was sealer in some places where it is not needed at all. Of course, there are a couple of spots where the sealer is important but mostly it looks unnecessary. What do you think?
Hi, I can see where you are coming from (so to speak:wink:) but the seam sealer is to prevent rust forming in the seam, if rust does start to raise its ugly head then it will be a hell of a job to stop it?

There are some great products on the market today, for example Sikaflex (just one that I have used there are other/better? products) you can get a really neat looking seal and it is paintable.

Or you 'could' paint on some POR 15 prior to painting that will not be as noticeable that would 'probably' suffice??

HTH:tu:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts