1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,444 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Everyone

As all good things come to an end, so it seems is the case with this video. I have had some close calls with the wing mirrors. While they give, I have endless adjusting to do as people pass by in parking lots and even almost lost one when it got caught on a door left ajar.

I would love to know whether there are after-market options still available or whether anyone has tried some DIY solutions.

There seems to be "lots" of room inside the mirror housing for some/an additional motor...??

Thanks in advance for an inputs :)

·
97,444 Posts
fyi, this thread is 4 years old and many members do not venture into them

You might want us to move your post into its own brand new thread for more exposure

:D

·
97,444 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi. The folding mirrors were an option for the SLK but only for the Japanese market. It's possible to retrofit them but it takes some time and quite some money. You need to remove both mirrors, door panels, under the driver/passenger and middle console. The parts: both internals for the mirrors with the motors (from the dealer), the switch for the middle console, the plastic trim around it and the cable (or make one, like I did). I've done this 6 years ago and it cost me roughly 750 euros. 350 for each mirror, 35 for the switch, maybe 5 or 10 for the plastic trim and some extra for the home made cable. If you buy the cable it turns things much easier. The way I did it was much harder since I had to cut the socket off (middle console) and rewire the new switch. It's not straightforward since I had to look at the wiring diagrams to do it. Plus, you need to run 2 wires for each mirrors (for the motors).
Possible? Yes. Worth it nowadays? Probably not, unless you can find 2nd hand parts pretty cheap (good luck with that) and you are up for a challenge.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,862 Posts
Hey there :smile: Know you're not a frequent poster but would you add the year of your car to your profile?? :tu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.