Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2000 SLK200K
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I decided to go for an upgrade for my over 10 years old speakers. Back then, my first upgrade from oem speakers were focal access 165 A1's. Actually A1's provided plenty of power coupled with a decent sony amp and then audio control's 2.300 amp recently. I was trying to decide between focal's k2 165k and flax evo 165fe for my new setup.

I went for the flax evo 165fe for the clarity of sound as I plan to add an alpine pwe-s8 subwoofer for the lows.

For those interested, both focal ps165k, focal ps165fe (and even ps165f, the old version) will fit well in the r170 speaker adapters sold in ebay. For 165fe/165k just you will need to just to cut the screen at the bottom as it is deeper compared to 165a1.

So, my new speakers have just arrived. I will keep you updated about the results after install.

Cheers!
Murat

Attachments

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,604 Posts
So, my new speakers have just arrived. I will keep you updated about the results after install.
Nice, are you going to fit another pair in the rear bulkhead ? That way you get to use all 4 Channels on Head Unit and I can tell you from experience on both my R170's that makes a huge difference.

Sub wise, I did try under seat, but found this works much better ....

are there ready-made adapters for 6 × 9 speakers for rear mounting? possibly 3D printing would also be possible.
Nope, best to make it and shape it from MDF or similar, you can use the plastic R170 "Bose" Rear Boxes, but the speakers would have to be 6.75" circular and they have to be mounted "the wrong way round" ...............

I chose not to do that and used MDF with 6.75" component set. I've never tried 6 x 9's but they might fit, would be more awkward though ;)

HTH ;)

·
**Registered 2001 SLK320
1,012 Posts
If you scroll down a little bit on this page you can find my solution to replace the door speakers with Gas 6,5" midrange and separate tweeters.
I also put the same setup behind the seats where there was a pllace for speakers.

·
*Registered
2000 SLK200K
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, are you going to fit another pair in the rear bulkhead ? That way you get to use all 4 Channels on Head Unit and I can tell you from experience on both my R170's that makes a huge difference.

Sub wise, I did try under seat, but found this works much better ....
Thanks Dave. Actually, I'd love to have rear speakers but I really don't want to get into that cutting and fitting stuff for the rears. I like your idea for the sub but mine (already purchased) won't fit in that area quite well.

I am inspired from a photo that I saw recently for placing the sub in the passenger footwell. May be worth a try.
There seems to be plenty of space when the seat is all the way back.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,604 Posts
I like that sub install in your picture, neat idea (y) but I wouldn't have that Foam behind the Carpet in front of it ;)

It really doesn't take long to do the Rear Pair install, it truly was the biggest single improvement I did when I first got my Blue (now V8) R170, after that then the active Sub just brought it all alive ;)

I can do the Rear Pair install in under 4 hours now, (just done my other V6 R170) ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
63 Posts
About a year and a half ago, I replaced the Bose door speakers with Focal ISS 165 components. And yes I also had to hack away some of the back of the "speaker bucket" to clear the magnets. Well worth it for the major improvement in sound quality.
I'll say it again- major improvement in sound quality.

·
*Premium Member
NO SLK/2004 Chrysler Crossfire
129 Posts
When you cut the back of the speaker bucket off, are you adding a plastic sheet or anything to keep the outside elements out of the speaker? I realize it won't be much, but with a little rain water in the door, and heating/cooling/condensation, it seems like it would become a problem?

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
63 Posts
The back of the speaker bucket is open anyway, with a grille of sorts. Being that open didn't seem to harm the paper cones of the stock Bose speakers even after almost twenty years. So not much difference when you cut more away.

·
*Registered
1999 SLK230
11 Posts
About a year and a half ago, I replaced the Bose door speakers with Focal ISS 165 components. And yes I also had to hack away some of the back of the "speaker bucket" to clear the magnets. Well worth it for the major improvement in sound quality.
I'll say it again- major improvement in sound quality.
I am thinking about upgrading the stock speakers with 2 sets of Focal RSE-165. Where did you place your crossovers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts