Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Two weeks ago I opened my drivers door from the inside and heard a "snap". The handle did not return to the door unless I pushed it in. Yesterday I took the door apart expecting to see a spring either broken or down in the bottom of the door. Found nothing. No sign of a spring. Went on line on E-bay, looked up door latches for pictures. Found the pics but again no spring. Can someone help me. What returns the handle to the stored position? Is their a return spring inside the latch mechanism?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woolly
The problem I have is when I pull on handle (290) it pulls rod (230) which is connected to mechanism (10). But it does not return to the stored position when I let go of the handle. Now where the rod is connected to the mechanism, I can remove the rod and the mechanism moves freely (not spring loaded). I willing to guess the spring is located inside the latch mechanism. I going to remove the right door panel and see if that latch is spring loaded. I'll let you know my results.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
413 Posts
Thanks Woolly
The problem I have is when I pull on handle (290) it pulls rod (230) which is connected to mechanism (10). But it does not return to the stored position when I let go of the handle. Now where the rod is connected to the mechanism, I can remove the rod and the mechanism moves freely (not spring loaded). I willing to guess the spring is located inside the latch mechanism. I going to remove the right door panel and see if that latch is spring loaded. I'll let you know my results.
I believe that it is the rod (230) that pulls the handle back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
davronoe, I know this is a bit old but wondered if you ever resolved this. There is an eBay site selling repair kits for just about every merc except the R170 and their drawings show a pretty substantial spring as part of those kits. I,m trying to stall having to pull locking unit as these are quite expensive as a replacement,

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
davronoe, I know this is a bit old but wondered if you ever resolved this. There is an eBay site selling repair kits for just about every merc except the R170 and their drawings show a pretty substantial spring as part of those kits. I,m trying to stall having to pull locking unit as these are quite expensive as a replacement,
fyi, davronoe has not been on since: Last Activity: 10-23-2015
hopefully he has subscribed to the thread and will be notified

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little late, but relevant.
Our R170 plastic bits tend to break down with age. On two of my SLKs I have had the displeasure of finding the door latch/actuator broken inside. It's usually a cascading problem, and by the time we detect it, many parts are broken inside. Finding another part is a problem--not just the expense, but because the working replacement is as old as the original.
I have tried various glues, and am having success with basic ABS glue used for plumbing (the original is made of ABS). With patience it can be repaired and strengthened. The key is to roughen any parts needing glue, and treat it like a puzzle. Then add extra ABS where necessary to add strength.
By the way, the ABS glue also works very well on our cracked/broken interior plastic bits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.