Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new here and looking for information.
I am installing a car computer to an slk 230 170 and am wondering if anyone has already done so and can give me some pointers?
A quick search of the forum did not show up any threads.
Thanks.
Huck

·
Registered
382 Posts
A mac mini could fit whit a external lcd screen. Just search for Mac mini + Car on google you'll find info on it.
Go take a look @ this site:

http://www.macvroom.com/category/macd-rides/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

Doesn't a car pc require a 2 din hole? I have never seen a 1 din car pc before!

There are one DIN car PCs with retractable screens. One in-dash PC maker is Lilliput, but the reviews aren't the greatest.

Building an in-car PC should be an interesting project, though. You could use a touch screen and the PC itself could be housed under the seat. If you know about building PCs, there are endless options. You could use a NanoATX board with a VIA 1.6GHz chip and integrated graphics, an SSD drive - those should fit right in the dash as the nano ATX mobo is only 6.7x6.7 inches, but the performance probably wouldn't be the greatest. Or you could build a custom enclosure that fits under the seat which could probably hold a gaming and media powerhouse! :burnout:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your inputs. I had actually ordered a lilliput, but because of a stock shortage the company was unable to deliver. Reading the reviews since has slightly put me off of buying one. I am now looking at a DE-Multimedia DE-7VGAD or a Xenarc 700IDT. Both seem ideal and are just in my budget, although a bit old.
So far I have purchased a mini-ITX board with AMD dual core chip, 2gig memory stick and 12v PSU. Added to this is a rear camera, USB gps , USB 802.11N wireless interface, 64gig cf hard drive (disappointingly slow!) and a usb extension port. I shall install a 2.5" hard drive and see if it will stand up to the riggers of speed-humps etc.
I will be installing the motherboard et al under the passenger footplate. Once the factory installed amp and associated junk is removed, there should be plenty of room (fingers crossed). The head unit will provide cd/dvd, radio and touch interface. I am trying out the Centrafuse front end (30 day trial) which is remarkably well made, with loads of add-ons. I would like to use Ubuntu but the front end (Ubuntu mobile) is not ready for useless illiterates like me yet. And so XP it will be.
I'll kep you posted as I go.
Huck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update ... I have now got most of the 'bits' needed for this project, except for the head-unit. Looking at the reviews, all the bad press for the Lilliput GL701-TV/C/T,
seem to originate from just one person. As they have sold thousands, a few bad ones are bound to turn up. So, what to do...??? Also, I do note that it will obscure the controls and the vents, but this should not be too much of a problem, as the screen can be tilted forward or retracted for access. I think it will still be better, and more secure, than trying to mount a 7" monitor on the dashboard (or in the cup holder as I see someone has done)
Centrafuse is brilliant. I tried it out on the bench with Vista and just about nothing worked i.e. no drivers. Installed on the Jetway motherboard (for the carpc) with XP SP3 and it flies. Definitely one to buy. The solid state hard drive is proving to be a disaster. Reminds me of the original windows with a 10Meg hard drive - just slower! I have therefore bought a 360G 7200 2.5" which I will mount on its side with the hope that the pickups will miss the disks if I hit a bump.
I dont really need it, but I have indulged in an HD camera to stick on the back - this car is so darn big I can hardly see what I am backing into ;-) . It is all running sweetly on the bench, even the gps navigator, so as soon as I get the head unit I can start taking pics and get on with the install.
Thanks for your inputs.
Huck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,
I have been advised to move this link over to the R170 general mods page, so thats where I shall continue the saga.....
Give me a week to source a head unit and then we're off!
Huck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.