Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring a 98 R170 which has sat a few years in a garage. I am now working on the brakes, which I though felt a little soft. Mind you that I have not driven a 20 year old car for a while, and when I then drive the 2017 Audi A4, I over step the brakes with a jerky stop. So I first bled the master cylinder and then the wheel brakes without a change. The front pads were low, so I then replaced all rotors and pads with Brembo ceramics. The bedding process proved that the car can effectively stop, but still the casual stopping in traffic seems to need a bit more pressure to stop. Am I overthinking this, as I am trying to bring the car into spec, and just don't know what to expect from the car?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
I doubt anyone can answer that question without driving your car and knowing the model very well.

I sympathise.

I have a 55 with 6 pots, the wife has a 350 with sports upgrade. Only 2 years different.
Her brakes are fine, but I have to be very aware of being in the 350 when I drive it.

The good news, some 170 owners have upgraded the brakes.
Several threads on the topic.

One thing that you might try, racing brake fluid.
Needs changing more often as it is even more hygroscopic, but it does make a difference.

·
Registered 2002 SLK 230 R170
355 Posts
My 170 (230 Facelift Model) will stop on a sixpence (dime). My Brake system is Standard, just well maintained. No problems at all.

Other 170's I have driven also perform similarly.

Maybe the Brake Servo is not performing to spec. Also check the Rubber pipes to Servo. There is also a seperate Vacumn Pump.

Also change Brake Fluid unless you know age of it.

Finally - Suggest you put "Brake Servo" in the search box on the site - you will get about 80 Results.

Hope this will help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt anyone can answer that question without driving your car and knowing the model very well.

I sympathise.

I have a 55 with 6 pots, the wife has a 350 with sports upgrade. Only 2 years different.
Her brakes are fine, but I have to be very aware of being in the 350 when I drive it.

The good news, some 170 owners have upgraded the brakes.
Several threads on the topic.

One thing that you might try, racing brake fluid.
Needs changing more often as it is even more hygroscopic, but it does make a difference.
Power bleeding the system, twice, was the first thing I tried, so the fluid has been well replaced. I wish I could drive another 170 of that era.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
You're in Florida.
Why not ask if anyone with an identical car will meet up with you?

They could drive yours and comment if better/worse than yours.
Or vice versa.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 170 (230 Facelift Model) will stop on a sixpence (dime). My Brake system is Standard, just well maintained. No problems at all.

Other 170's I have driven also perform similarly.

Maybe the Brake Servo is not performing to spec. Also check the Rubber pipes to Servo. There is also a seperate Vacumn Pump.

Also change Brake Fluid unless you know age of it.

Finally - Suggest you put "Brake Servo" in the search box on the site - you will get about 80 Results.

Hope this will help.
Interesting, my version of the car pulls vacuum directly from the engine manifold. Looks like they may have improved the brake system with the facelift to pull vacuum from a dedicated pump (not on my car). I did the typical brake pedal checks for the booster and check valve, but I want to check actual vacuum to the booster through the check valve next. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts