Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been working around and under the car on the suspension and brakes of all four corners, fighting rusty and seized on nuts and bolts at every step :frown: I came across a couple of brake lines running under the car going to the rear brakes. Just where the pipes bend down out of the engine bay to run along the floor pan. They are in a very exposed spot and can suffer severe corrosion. Strangely....or perhaps not :wink:.....this was not shown as any advisory or fail on the yearly UK MOT test which it certainly should have :surprise:. So you guys with r170's that run on salted roads need to have a look at this spot. See red circle for the location, just in front of the MB installed brake line couplers.

Is it just me or does anyone else find making up brake lines strangely satisfying? :laugh: Maybe just some light relief from grinding, hacking, drilling rusted bolts :grin:

IMG_20181217_144300541 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

42a23ecda5cdcf5279f497ca34aeea49 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

IMG_20181217_144146741 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,426 Posts
I just replaced the section from the ABS pump to that very junction on mine. No corrosion, but the line developed a crack somehow. It is indeed satisfying!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts