Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Recently purchased a 98/R170 and want to install the Bose kit out of an upgraded slk320. I have the 4 speakers and the amp but no wiring so wondering as this was an upgrade kit, if the cables would already be in there as a part of the loom? Also looking to upgrade the head unit to a more modern mp3/bt unit. Any recomendations or idlers about the wiring before I commit on the Bose?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Lots of threads on upgrading the R170 HU including schematics. Hard part might be that you said four speakers - Bose in a 170 has six speakers, woofer and tweeter in each door and two subs behind the seats. Two subs are not in stock system so mounts/covers may not be there - are they in kit ?

Have heard of many upgrading the HU not of anyone trying to add the amp when not already there.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,855 Posts
Hi @dchantry007

Welcome to the forum.

You've lots of options but let's start with the basics:
  • If you haven't got the Bose system at the moment you won't have the wiring or the amp - or the holes in the rear carpet!
  • The wiring to the Bose amp is twenty six wires (why???)
  • The Bose system itself is under powered and expensive - and pretty much relies on the stock headunit.
  • The Bose amplifier requires balanced inputs. Most aftermarket headunits provide screened unbalanced outputs - which are not the same thing and you'd need a module to convert one system to the other.
  • If you're thinking of changing the head unit you'd be better off putting together your own upgraded amp as you'd need to add the cables to the speakers in the rear (which frankly you don't really need as there's enough bass from the door, if upgraded properly)
There are plenty of upgrade threads so let me give you a flavour:

My thread (speakers and amp upgrade)
Another DIY amp upgrade

There is a classic DIY thread on SLKWorld that covers the Bose upgrade but I can't find that right now. I'll add that in a bit.

Good luck - and Welcome to the Forum!

·
2,855 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks. I’ve been offered the amp and the speakers from the doors and behind the seats out of a breaking 320 and there are no cables. The head unit is becaus mine isn’t working. May now try option B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Have theamp and the speakers. Know I have to cut the holes but not sure if I have cables. May be easier to go aftermarket as I need the stereo too.

·
2,855 Posts
Thanks. Have theamp and the speakers. Know I have to cut the holes but not sure if I have cables. May be easier to go aftermarket as I need the stereo too.
In my thread above there is the wiring needed for the amp and speakers. It's actually 14 wires to the amp on a 26-pin connector. If they're breaking the '320 and you still want to proceed with the Bose try asking for the amp plug and some of the wiring (try to get about a foot / 30cms of the loom). You can then splice to that as needed with your own cabling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.