Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK have had a good look at the components in the boot, all the cables look inplace on the release,(see pic 1), however I did try to release the roof with the switch and the fluid level has gone down further ( see pic 2), I have removed panels and carpet and the only place I can find any oil/ moisture is on the drivers front corner under the back of the rear window (British speck so drivers side)( see pic3),
is it possible to manually open the roof to get access to the interior panels and try to locate the leak, without causing more problems?

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
177 Posts
Yes, you can open the roof manually. Do you have the allen wrench that came with the car? Remove the plastic cap on the headliner and turn the mechanism with the allen wrench to release the roof. With the trunk (boot) raised back all the way, you can start lifting the front of the roof to gain access to the parts that need to be removed. Note....the roof doesn't raise straight up, you need to lift up, then pull towards the rear of the car.
I removed all 5 cylinders without help, just make sure you block the trunk and roof to keep it safely in position while working.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,970 Posts
It's the other end of that black Bowden cable that you need to inspect... at the foot of the boot lid cylinder. does it appear correct?

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
177 Posts
The cylinders in the trunk well need to be in the down position to release the roof. Look down in the bottom of the well to see if you see any fluid. Mine leaked out at the drain and I could feel fluid when I stuck my finger in the drain on the outside of the car. I gave both wells a good cleaning before I re-installed the rebuilt cylinders.

·
4,970 Posts
I think (but not sure) that some fluctuation of the level in the reservoir is expected as the mechanisms transition from state to state.

You don't need to remove any panels to spot a leak in your main roof (pictured) cylinder. It usually dribbles straight down and leaves a trail on the black plastic.

Stick your finger down in the well behind each rear wheel - near the base of the boot lid cylinders - and see If you feel anything oily. It should be bone dry down there.

·
4,970 Posts
Notice the slotted nature of the bottom anchor point here... this slot has an Important role. when @slm230red says "down" he is talking about this slot, not the ram on the top.

Attachments

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think (but not sure) that some fluctuation of the level in the reservoir is expected as the mechanisms transition from state to state.

You don't need to remove any panels to spot a leak in your main roof (pictured) cylinder. It usually dribbles straight down and leaves a trail on the black plastic.

Stick your finger down in the well behind each rear wheel - near the base of the boot lid cylinders - and see If you feel anything oily. It should be bone dry down there.
I have checked there and it is nice and dry. The cable is attached to the bracket as well.( although the end does look a little rough! I will get a shot to show you) I will check below the pump tomorrow, although I couldn't find any fluid on the pump it self.
There was oil on the metal fixings shown in my image 3#, it appeared to cover all the mechanics in the area below the rear window pillar. That is why I thought I would need to remove trim panels to gain access.

·
4,970 Posts
It might be grease if the last mechanic used a spray can. If that cylinder is leaking, it would be leaking right where the ram exits the cylinder. Usually you can hear the jet of fluid streaming out.

However, your issues lie with the boot lid cylinders, not the roof cylinders. of course checking for leaks anywhere and everywhere it's always a good idea, but I think you should focus on the problem at hand, namely, uneven motion of your boot lid, left vs right.

While you have the pressure relief open, with the key off, disconnect the yokes from the frame at the top of both the boot cylinders - and see if you can work the ram in and out by hand. Is the effort required about the same left and right? (immediately reconnect the yokes after this check).

Have you discovered the "assembly position" yet, where the boot lid is high in the air?

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi initial problem solved Bowden cable had snapped at the junction with the piston. (See pic) New one ordered from MB only £16.40 also ordered hydraulic oil £12.50/litre. Now need to locate the leak!!!

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You can say that again!! Whilst I wait for the part I’m going to give the entire boot space a comprehensive clean!! It will soon be shiny as new!!!

·
4,970 Posts
That's very interesting that it broke that way - I don't think I've seen any report of such. Were you able to order the cable separately, or did you have to purchase the entire latch assembly?

·
4,970 Posts
BTW I'm not really convinced yet that you have a leak. As I understand it, a drop or two of fluid every 5-10 roof operations is considered "normal". Most of the time, when you have a leak that's gone unattended for more than a few cycles, the reservoir will be totally, or nearly, empty. Yours is still nearly full - certainly nowhere near the point of drawing in air.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's very interesting that it broke that way - I don't think I've seen any report of such. Were you able to order the cable separately, or did you have to purchase the entire latch assembly?
I had to order the two cables as they come as a single unit!
I’m pretty sure that it was an original peace and had corroded at the joint with the stop. Didn’t look like the panel had ever been off as it was really filthy.
I have ordered the hydraulic fluid so that I can top up the reservoir, I will need to keep an eye on it for the moment & will let you know if anything comes to light!
Many thanks for all the help & advice.
Paul

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quick update new part fitted, topped up the reservoir and everything works, better than it ever has! I've had the car for 3 years and been sorting it out one thing at a time, I have a feeling the Bowden cable may well have been stretched for all of that and finally gave out.
Once again many thanks for all the help that you gave with this issue.

·
4,970 Posts
Great news - did you have to adjust the new bowden cable at all?

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No not really, there was a small amount of setting needed to get the support nuts at the right point, but other than that a straight swap. The hardest part was getting the latch connection in place, the wires are both held in a pinch lock so a little "gentle" bending was needed to get the old ones out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts