Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I know that there are countless discussions re vario roofs not working, that is partly the problem!!
My roof worked fine yesterday, when I came to open it today the passenger side of the boot mechanism would not work. The pumps were making all the right sounds and the rear windows came down, the driver side boot hinge started to rise but only got about 2.5cm before stopping as the passenger side was stuck closed. The illuminated switch is as normal and all retracts and locks in place. Is there a specific reason for this , a relay, sensor etc? I would very much appreciate any help that can be given. I am quite the novice when it comes to auto electrics, so any links to visual reference would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance
Paul

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,206 Posts
Open the boot fully.
Does it stay open on it's own, or try to drop?
If it drops it is just the two shocks circa £15 each and a doddle to fit (a diy in 170 diys).
May not be the issue but check first as it is easy to check and fix.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can open the boot fine, all the hinges are lubed and free and the shocks are quite new and hold it at any position .
The problem is that it will not open to allow the roof to retract.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,206 Posts
And no doubt you have checked nothing caught up in either boot lock, nor either side?
There are steel cables inside each rear wing, that are used for manual operation.
Snagged maybe?

I'm trying to go for the easy (no cost stuff). You may need a proper scan.
As you noticed, the roof threads are many.

Not sure if low hydraulic fluid might do this.
Another easy, no cost check.

Got any stains in roof lining?
Fluid spills anywhere?

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks for the info. I will check the fluid level. I take it you meant the access panel in the boot. If it is low what is the best to refill with? If there is plenty of fluid what would be the next logical step?

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And no doubt you have checked nothing caught up in either boot lock, nor either side?
There are steel cables inside each rear wing, that are used for manual operation.
Snagged maybe?

I'm trying to go for the easy (no cost stuff). You may need a proper scan.
As you noticed, the roof threads are many.

Not sure if low hydraulic fluid might do this.
Another easy, no cost check.

Got any stains in roof lining?
Fluid spills anywhere?
Boot lock and either side are clear of obstructions. I don't see any obvious signs of fluid spills. Will have a more in-depth look tomorrow. I suppose it will mean taking the interior boot panels off to check if the cables are snagged, as I imagine pulling on them will disconnect something!

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
176 Posts
Sounds like the passenger side hydraulic cylinder is not pushing down on the boot release cable. Did you look at the pump fluid level yet? It it's low, then it must be leaking somewhere.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have a good look around tomorrow after work. I will best eta let you know if it is lowland if I can see a leak anywhere.
Paul

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, the hydraulic fluid is at the lower of the 2 level markers on the reservoir. I have had a quick look around and as yet have not found any leaks. However I plan to remove the boot liner tomorrow to get a better look. What is the recommended hydraulic fluid, if any?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,948 Posts
That's a good sign. As @slk230red suggests, there is a Bowden cable running between the bottom of the boot cylinder and the wheel well latch. You can readily see these latches. Notice how it looks kinda like a seat belt latch? The idea is the lid is "latched down". Unlike a seatbelt though, it's "unlatched" not by a human finger but by this Bowden cable. If this cable stretches, or worse becomes dislodged from the bottom of the boot cylinder, it won't unlatch the latch.

You'll probably need to remove the left panel to proceed. So you'll need to find the steel loop and pull it to release instead.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think your fluid level accounts for your symptoms.
So you feel it may be the Bowden cable then? That might well explain how it felt stuck ,with no movement at all. I will pay close attention to the pair of them when I take the boot panels off & make comparisons.
I will also check the system for leaks as it should be sealed, therefor not be low on fluid.
May as well do everything at the same time whilst I have to strip out the panels!!
I would also be interested in finding out what your feelings would be about OEM hydraulic fluid v MB's own? I have found some by Febi and Vaico

·
4,948 Posts
I have only used the MB fluid. From what I understand it's the low odor that sets it apart. Other then that, you can use any of them.

There are a few things that might cause your symptom, but the cable is the most likely. Are you able to locate the looped end of the steel cables?

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have only used the MB fluid. From what I understand it's the low odor that sets it apart. Other then that, you can use any of them.

There are a few things that might cause your symptom, but the cable is the most likely. Are you able to locate the looped end of the steel cables?
Yes have found both sides

·
4,948 Posts
Open the brass emergency relief first... Do you hear or see the latch releasing when you pull the left (passenger) side loop? BTW you have to pull it pretty hard since you're pulling at an angle.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,787 Posts
I would also be interested in finding out what your feelings would be about OEM hydraulic fluid v MB's own? I have found some by Febi and Vaico
I remember reading somewhere that Citroën Hydraulic Fluid is the same stuff but half the price, may or may not be the case though ..

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Open the brass emergency relief first... Do you hear or see the latch releasing when you pull the left (passenger) side loop? BTW you have to pull it pretty hard since you're pulling at an angle.
Few thanks for this. I was about to post up that it was stuck!! All open and all appears to be in place!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts