Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice with the top up that my driver's side (left) has a horrible blind spot. I can't turn my head to see there because the strut (term?) is right behind me. And the mirrors don't seem to see it all. Unless I remember who I've passed, and when, I'm taking a risk by changing lanes to the left. What do you guys do about this?

J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blind Spot Fix

I've used this method for many years with great success:

1. Center your rearview to the rear window.

2. With your head leaning on the driver's door glass,
position the outside mirror to just be able to see
the side of the car.

3. Lean into the middle of the interior and do the same
with the right hand outside mirror to show the same
view of the passenger side of the car.

This eliminates any blind spots. When a vehicle exits the
rearview mirror, it will show up in one of the side mirrors
depending on location.

This generally takes a few days to become accustomed to
as you are no longer seeing the sides of your car when
in the normal position behind the steering wheel.

Note: If no cars are showing in your side mirrors, you can
go there with impunity as an avoidance manuver.

Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I just like to see the sides of my car so I put one of those small rectangular convex mirrors on my outside mirror and I love it. I put it in the top right hand corner and it doesn't obstruct the view and I can see what's in my blind spot with just a quick glance. To each his own I guess but this works well for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would always reccomend to use a diameter convex mirror and added to your driver side mirror. It makes a huge difference,regardless if you had the blind spot to begin with in your car or not...

I would always advice and thats what I used to do to...before I made my left turn or anything. I would not only look over my left shoulder, I would lean forward then turn my head to eliminate the blind spot and once u do that,you'll get used to it and its all normal.

But those convex mirror make big big difference on any vehicle!!!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I wonder why OEM mirror suppliers can't/won't just manufacture mirrors with the convex part built into or premolded unto one corner of the outside rear view mirrors?

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I wonder why OEM mirror suppliers can't/won't just manufacture mirrors with the convex part built into or premolded unto one corner of the outside rear view mirrors?
Saab does. My 9-3 has a split mirror that does just that. It's a little weird at first, but is really nice after you get used to it.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Saab does. My 9-3 has a split mirror that does just that. It's a little weird at first, but is really nice after you get used to it.
I didn't know that. I'll take a closer look at the next SAAB 9-3 I see.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
These extra mirrors etc. are not needed when following Cruzer 8 or Reynard's suggestions.

The only reason to see the side of the car in the mirror is to admire it. And I know the SLK is fun to just look at, but the mirrors can be put to better use. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.