Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to locate a supplier and fitter ideally to replace the two back boxes on my R170 230 197 HP, 2000, essentially I need a Cat Back system.

Have looked into the possibility of replacing with a custom stainless steel system and decided risk was too high because;

a) 300 mile round trip
b) may be too noisey and rattle when cold
c) impact on insurance premiums

I did locate the boxes from a German supplier but they could not deliver the rear silencer because it was too long !

I am located in Bath, UK. Has anyone has a similar experience ?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,276 Posts
I am trying to locate a supplier and fitter ideally to replace the two back boxes on my R170 230 197 HP, 2000, essentially I need a Cat Back system.

Have looked into the possibility of replacing with a custom stainless steel system and decided risk was too high because;

a) 300 mile round trip
b) may be too noisey and rattle when cold
c) impact on insurance premiums

I did locate the boxes from a German supplier but they could not deliver the rear silencer because it was too long !

I am located in Bath, UK. Has anyone has a similar experience ?
300 mile round trip?... I've read great recommendations about Infinity Exhausts for custom exhaust work, and I think they're quite close to you:
https://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/

I haven't used them myself, as they're too far away... and the recommendations I've read have usually been from people with R171 AMG 55s that want an x-pipe fitting. However, it might be worth a call to them to check whether they can help or not?

With regard to impact on insurance premiums, you may be surprised how little it impacts them... I notified my insurer of my custom exhaust work and they just noted it on the policy, and it didn't appear to affect the renewal quote. I know our circumstances are all different, and each insurer will have their own approach to the impact it might have, but it's probably worth asking them directly (tell them you're thinking about having some custom exhaust work done). My 20 year-old son's last car had a non-standard exhaust back (as well as slightly lowered suspension) and the overall impact on the quote (for those changes) was minimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
300 mile round trip?... I've read great recommendations about Infinity Exhausts for custom exhaust work, and I think they're quite close to you:
https://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/

I haven't used them myself, as they're too far away... and the recommendations I've read have usually been from people with R171 AMG 55s that want an x-pipe fitting. However, it might be worth a call to them to check whether they can help or not?

With regard to impact on insurance premiums, you may be surprised how little it impacts them... I notified my insurer of my custom exhaust work and they just noted it on the policy, and it didn't appear to affect the renewal quote. I know our circumstances are all different, and each insurer will have their own approach to the impact it might have, but it's probably worth asking them directly (tell them you're thinking about having some custom exhaust work done). My 20 year-old son's last car had a non-standard exhaust back (as well as slightly lowered suspension) and the overall impact on the quote (for those changes) was minimal.
Thanks Dave and Cartoony for the tip.

I spoke with Infinity and am booked in for a custom exhaust. The alternative was via the the local Merc Dealer with a wait of at least 2 months.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts