Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rbThe Northern California SLK Enthusiasts met in San Jose on 6/16/12 and drove up Mt. Hamilton, stopping at Lick Observatory, then drove down the east side of the hills before lunching at Lamppost Pizza in Patterson.

:burnout: Even with triple digit heat, 18 cars (and their occupants) participated with R170, R171, and R172 represented.

CRANK UP THE SOUND on your computer!

A QuickTime show of this June 2012 SLK Enthusiasts meet and drive can be seen here:
http://slkenthusiast.com/slkqt/1206slkw.mov

Hope you enjoy...

Past events can be seen at:
www.slkenthusiast.com

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,212 Posts
GREAT job on the photos/slide show/soundtrack! We really loved the ride!! Thanks so much for chronicling the journey!!

... you think you could send me a copy of our portrait (toward the end of the slideshow)? That's one of the better photos of us that have been taken in a long time :)

Please post info on the next ride when it becomes available :rb

A QuickTime show of this June 2012 SLK Enthusiasts meet and drive can be seen here:
http://slkenthusiast.com/slkqt/1206slkw.mov

Hope you enjoy...

Past events can be seen at:
www.slkenthusiast.com

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GREAT job on the photos/slide show/soundtrack! We really loved the ride!! Thanks so much for chronicling the journey!!

... you think you could send me a copy of our portrait (toward the end of the slideshow)? That's one of the better photos of us that have been taken in a long time :)

Please post info on the next ride when it becomes available :rb
Email sent :)

Great to meet you both and look forward to next time :Beer:

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Nice roads, great group. Looks like a good time. Got a bit toasty at times it looks like!! I see that Stinger made it at the start.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,249 Posts
We here in Florida are jealous of the great time, effort and enjoyment you all (Motzkoman) put in to your meet and drives! We have just drafted simplyslk and she will be 'copying' your gameplan.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice roads, great group. Looks like a good time. Got a bit toasty at times it looks like!! I see that Stinger made it at the start.
Yes, it was great to finally meet Stinger...I also announced a trip in October to meet up again in San Simeon the weekend of the 20th. I hope I can meet some So. Cal folks then :tu:

Missed last year :mad: with business travel and moving; having to get out of a house sold that weekend.

We did put our tops up as we got down to the valley where it was so hot...great to have AC then...:hail:

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We here in Florida are jealous of the great time, effort and enjoyment you all (Motzkoman) put in to your meet and drives! We have just drafted simplyslk and she will be 'copying' your gameplan.
Let me kow if you want more details and we are happy to share our formula:

We have three of us "main coordinators" who do all the communication by email using the "BCC" line to protect peoples emails. They can share theirs with others, but we never do. The rides are coordinated with me for calendar oversight.

We try to be conistent for events on the third Saturday of the month, with the exception of not meeting in December due to holidays. We also adjust to other times for special events and weekend overnighters. Here are the other guidelines we publish to our people when asking for volunteers to plan and lead events.

GUIDELINES FOR MEET/DRIVES ;)

Meet – The meeting is approximately one hour, starting
at 10:30 A.M. The location should be
1) easy to find
2) have an area of open parking able to accommodate up to 20+ cars
3) be near some restroom (public or business)
4) preferably be near coffee and/or food

Drive – We like to have a group drive and prefer it to be some enjoyable route that we can safely negotiate with the group of cars; no time or mileage limits, but think about what would be attractive to a group.

Attractions/Events – In the past we have stopped to tour historical sites, museums, wildlife areas, planetariums, and other places of interest, but inclusion of these is not necessary.

Optional Lunch – Picking a place for the optional lunch should be done with the following criteria:
1) enough place to safely park
2) a reasonably priced menu
3) a menu that is broad enough to appeal to a group
4) the ability for a reservation to seat the group together
5) working out payment/menu options for planning purposes

:Beer:

Most of our participants are not on the boards much or at all, but we are now attracting more participants here. :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,249 Posts
i will forward to simplyslk! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, a couple of more thoughts on how we conduct the drives:

We use public band 2-way radios for communication. Often the lead car (preferably passenger if there is one) will relay information back on cyclists or oncoming traffic; also announce turns...this gets relayed back during the drive for safety.

We even have some extra radios that are loaned out to new people that may not yet have them.

Our meet has a little briefing before the drive, where we introduce new people, pitch upcoming events, and discuss the drive. We also always reinforce that we an informal group of people where everyone takes responsibility for their own safety.

Cop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts