Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey SoCal SLKers,
I know the last SLK meet was only a week ago, but my future brother-in-law is visiting next weekend and it would be cool to go on a quick local run while he is here.

Saturday August 13th

Final Meeting time is 10:30am at the Starbucks at
32080 Clinton Keith Road, Wildomar, CA 92595

There is 1 alternative meeting place at this point:
Starbucks, 38 Prism, Irvine, CA 92618 at 9:15 am (OC Waypoint)

If you are interested in joining the drive, please list your name and meeting point (OC or Wildomar).

This is pretty short notice, but it would be cool to have a few other SLKs along for this drive.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
I'm up for any one of these, either day, although Santiago is more of a leisurely drive as you mentioned because of the traffic. I can pathfind any of these if you want except GMR which I've only ever been on once.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I'll try not to work this weekend-of-interest.

·
19,400 Posts
Option 1 or 2.

If Option 2, we can meet around mid- to late-afternoon, and have dinner. August 13th, Saturday is preferable.

Dan (ponia003), I guess you may have to make the call and perhaps start a list. I am willing to go even if it is 2 vehicles. IIRC, Durk is familiar with Option 1 and 2 in terms of navigation/path-finding.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All right, I'm going with option 1 since it's not quite as long and I'm now familiar with driving the road "within limits". Definitely want to do the evening desert drive at some point though. Saturday the 13th is confirmed and I propose meeting 10:30 or so, but timing is flexible for me.

Durk is nominated as pathfinder. Durk, maybe we can do a variation on the last Avocado run? Maybe add another small loop? You're the expert here so I'll leave it to you.

By the way, I went up to Glendora this morning to check it out. The drive was great, but IMO not very safe to push the limits on. There were many areas were the edges of the road were washed out and/or covered in sand. The road is so narrow in some spots that I heard the bushes on the shoulder hitting the side mirror. Then there is the craziness of motorbikes going 65 with bicycles riding the center stripe (!) going under 10. Saw 2 LEOs on motorbikes. It was a lot of fun though and the scenery was spectacular.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting the list:
ponia003
Durkatlon
etyu

·
Registered
940 Posts
Would love to make it but still a bit soon for me. I have a brace on my knee for about 2 more weeks still and am not suppose to adjust it. As is the brace keeps my knee straight not allowing me to drive.

I may try hopping in the car Thursday or Friday to see how it feels, if that seems promising I'll update this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Meet....

I guess, I'm gona be missing this one out... My work requires me to travel most of the time, unfortunately, I will be gone from aug. 12 up to the 21st of August... I always wanted to try something like this.. Hopefully, you guys can schedule another meet near the end of August. I feel really bad not going :( I'll just check out the pictures.. Have fun guys and drive safe...:)

·
19,400 Posts
Where is the initial waypoint for 10:30 AM?

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
Where is the initial waypoint for 10:30 AM?
Option 1 is a bit vague since it talks about Bonsall and Palomar in the same sentence and those two places are quite far apart.

Based on what Dan said later on in the thread about doing a variation on the Avocado run, I propose we meet up in the same place as last time we did this:

Meeting time is 10:30am at the Starbucks at

I'll study Google Maps of that area to see what other roads look promising! :D

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Option 1 is a bit vague since it talks about Bonsall and Palomar in the same sentence and those two places are quite far apart.

Based on what Dan said later on in the thread about doing a variation on the Avocado run, I propose we meet up in the same place as last time we did this:

Meeting time is 10:30am at the Starbucks at

I'll study Google Maps of that area to see what other roads look promising! :D
Sounds good Durk. Thanks for checking it out.

·
19,400 Posts
Let me know if anyone wants to caravan out of OC to the 10:30 waypoint at Wildomar.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Eddy, you can pick the OC Waypoint and meet time. I'm starting from the corner of Barranca and Paseo Westpark. Maybe one of these locations?

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
23647 El Toro Road, Lake Forest, CA 92630-8613
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
71 Fortune Dr #844, Irvine, CA 92618
Starbucks
14437 Culver Drive, Irvine, CA 92604

Depends on whether we take 15 or 74.

·
19,400 Posts
May I suggest:

9:15AM for the OC waypoint at Starbucks, 38 Prism, Irvine, CA 92618.

I hope Matt (slkluv) doesn't mind :biglaugh:. There's adequate parking along the four-legged section that extends out from the rotunda.

This is close to the 5 freeway. We can take 5 south and take 74 (Ortega Hwy) east if so desired; however, traffic flow is unpredictable and there's plenty of LEO's along the 74, esp. on weekends. We can always take our chances. I am fine with trying this if we leave the OC waypoint shortly after 9:15 AM. I may hang out at Starbucks at 9AM and have a capuccino.

Another way is to go via 241 (tollway, about $5) to 91 to 15, a bit lengthy and routine freeway drive.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I may be able to make the run and if anything I will take up the rear so you guys can go faster.

I drove a short distance today and yesterday and the knee seems ok but I dont trust myself with any aggressive driving or tight corners yet.

Will update the thread thurs of friday.

Eddy that starbucks is fine and if I come I'll meet there as well

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updating starting locations:

ponia003 (OC Waypoint)
Durkatlon (Wildomar)
etyu (OC Waypoint)

Matt, I'll let you update yourself based on how things go for you.

·
19,400 Posts
Updated list:

OC waypoint: Starbucks, 38 Prism, Irvine, CA 92618;
at 9:15AM, August 13th, Saturday

1. ponia003 (OC Waypoint)
2. etyu (OC Waypoint)
3. slkluv (OC Waypoint)

Wildomar waypoint: Starbucks, 32080 Clinton Keith Road, Wildomar, CA 92595;
at 10:30AM, August 13th, Saturday

1. Durkatlon (Wildomar)

Hope others will chime in.

Matt, we can always drive at a more "leisurely" pace.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
19,400 Posts
I cannot make it, have other plans...but just as a suggestion if you're meeting in Irvine... you might want to come in a little earlier and go to "cars and coffee" near the taco bell office

http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/
Thanks, been there 2x. It's a bit early like 6:30-8:00 but willing to meet up with fellow members if anyone wants to come and check Cars&Coffee out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts