Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start; after a really heavy rain, for the first time, my SLK alarm started going off at random. Every time I shut it off, locked it, walked away, it would come back on. I immediately suspected PSE; and when I took a brief look, there was a decent sized puddle under the foam box.

I've never removed my PSE, so the removal/cleaning/etc. will be a first for me. But, I was reading a few forums, Benzworld, Slkworld, and a couple others. Some people say they removed their PSE without disconnecting the battery and that it wasn't necessary. This seems odd to me as it is electrical; I would assume it is a MUST to disconnect the battery first.

The only plus of not disconnecting the battery would be not having to get my radio reset/code. May seem like a really dumb question; just wondering for those on here who have done this; is it necessary to disconnect the battery?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
When you remove and clean it , you might want to look into inverting it to reduce further problems !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely planning on inverting it; but still wondering - is it necessary to disconnect the battery before removing/re-installing it.

If not, it saves me a trip to the dealer for my radio code, if so, then I'll obviously do it properly. Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,210 Posts
call your dealer up, supply what they need to give you the code or contact mercedes online

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate both of the responses; but neither really replied to my question.

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before you remove the PSE? Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,210 Posts
I would.....why take a chance on an errant spike.
or wait for our resident r170 experts to chime in

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Mercedes really protects the wiring very well. The most you will probably do is to blow a fuse. No big deal. But with the connectors they use, that would be unlikely, also. If re-coding the radio is that big a deal for you, then try it without disconnecting the battery. On the other hand, you might as well get the code for the radio now since you will have to replace the battery at some point anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quick update; getting it out was a breeze. To be safe, I went ahead and disconnected the battery. The pins were pretty badly corroded. One pin from the white connector completely fell out. And the board had green crap all over it. It was not pretty.

So, I took the board out, cleaned it with contact cleaner, pushed out the remainders of the old pin; took a sewing pin, clipped it to match the size of the broken pin, soldered it in - and all looked well...So, I cleaned it up, bought some 0.17" ID tube (1/4" OD - Sorry for the type-o previously!!!) from lowes for 32cents, flipped the PSE upside down, stuck it back in. And all is well. - Aside from the scare of the car running really weird for about 5 minutes after having the battery disconnected overnight. But, that went away once the car 're-learned' everything.

So, yeah...even if your PSE was covered in corrosion, missing pins, etc. it may be salvageable. It's not a tough job either. Just thoroughly clean the traces on the board with a tooth pick, make sure nothing is grounding anything else out, and you should be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.