Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Chatting with Moggins over a coffee, I happened to mention that one of the dashboard lamps had gone out on my speedometer and that I wasn't looking forward to having to take the dashboard apart quite so soon after buying the car.

He smiled and said that I shouldn't worry. It's more likely that the bulb just isn't making contact in its holder. He recommended a short, sharp slap of the dashboard above the speedometer as a first stop and only if the light didn't come back on afterwards was I to resort to stripping the dashboard and actually replacing the bulb.

So this is what I did. Sat in the car, turned the sidelights on - thus lighting the dashboard - and slapped the top of the dashboard with my hand. Result? A fully-lit dashboard again. Magic!

There. My first tip for the SLK community. :nerd:

Savcom

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,243 Posts
Not really a DIY as that would have pictures of you slapping the dash and step by step instructions like:
1. raise hand
2. palm outward
3. bring hand down quickly

so I will let it slide :D

·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a DIY as that would have pictures of you slapping the dash and step by step instructions like:
1. raise hand
2. palm outward

so I will let it slide :D
I did wonder if the post should have been in General, but it is a 'repair' tip and you do slap the dashboard yourself, so there is a fairly strong argument in my mind for a this being a DIY.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,243 Posts
1. raise hand
2. palm outward

·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK OK - I get the picture(s).

Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
percussive maintenance update

+1 on Savcom's advice here, but with the extra tweek of:-

turn the rheostat all the way up to thermonuclear first. Then do the "fix", then when she lights up, trim the rheostat gently back down.

I only say this as mine only plays up when I have the illumination down low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts