Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive owned my 230k for a month now and was wondering if any off you can tell me a few things:-

How do you know if the supercharger is working ? i dont notice anything different from any other car i drive (can it be checked)
Do you find the throttle pedal very stiff (strong spring) my foot aches after 15 mins of driving.
Is the steering very titchy and the car tramlines easily mine seems to.
How noisey is your car mine seems to have a lot of road noise not engine noise. Tyres are Pirelli P7 with good tread left.
What is the funny bit of rubber on the side windows top seal for, on my passenger side i get a slight leak from that area when it rains hard.

I still love the car its just im very fussy when it comes to cars i like things right.

Hope a few members on here can just tell me if some of these things are common on a 1999 230k or mine needs sorting.

Love this site and the friendly members

Dave :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I cannot really help you on the supercharger thing (I have a 320), but if it is doing 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds it must be working.

My car also has P7s, and does tramline a bit. My wheels are 16 inch. I know that 17 inch tramlines more. Which size do you have?

Other things that can make it twitchy are uneven tyre pressures and the steering damper.

There is also quite a bit of roadnoise. However, you dont notice it with the roof down. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
For checking the S/C you can manually rev the engine from the engine bay (or have a friend press the accelerator) while you observe the S/C clutch. It should engage at around 2000 rpm when you are in neutral.

Raindog

·
Registered
80 Posts
My facelift 230 also leaks a bit from that funny rubber part when it is raining hard. This problem can be easily repaired. Do a search on this site on what to do. It is going to be one of my winter projects.
My throttle is not sticky at all.
When I got new tires, I replaced the front ones with the same size as the rear tires. This made the car much less twitchy. From what I was told, the twitchyness is because the alignment of the front is that way so car is stable at extreme speeds which is true for my car. But at slower speeds this alignment makes the car twitchy at lower speeds, especially around 80-90 kph. An expert probably will have a better answer.
I also have some cabin noise but I think that's the price to pay in having a roadster. It's worth it!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ok ive owned my 230k for a month now and was wondering if any off you can tell me a few things:-

How do you know if the supercharger is working ? i dont notice anything different from any other car i drive (can it be checked)
Do you find the throttle pedal very stiff (strong spring) my foot aches after 15 mins of driving.
Is the steering very titchy and the car tramlines easily mine seems to.
How noisey is your car mine seems to have a lot of road noise not engine noise. Tyres are Pirelli P7 with good tread left.
What is the funny bit of rubber on the side windows top seal for, on my passenger side i get a slight leak from that area when it rains hard.

I still love the car its just im very fussy when it comes to cars i like things right.

Hope a few members on here can just tell me if some of these things are common on a 1999 230k or mine needs sorting.

Love this site and the friendly members

Dave :confused:
I would suggest checking your steering damper and the steering drag link! Mine were in a really bad shape... Like leaves waiving on a tree under the wind! And that is considering the fact that I drive it for 40,000 k already and treat it like a lady! Avoid all bumps and never take bad roads! Too bad it totally went out... =(
Drag link is around $200. and damper was $52. + steering idler reair kit $30-40 all Lemfoerder brand!:tu: But I'm getting the drag link replaced sometime this week and new alignment done
For the rubber seal and slight leaks use Gummi Fledge. As others suggested - several applications over couple days! Helps me for about 3-4 months =) Then I get rain drops. Not that crucial, it's just rubber. But it helps!

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car also has P7s, and does tramline a bit. My wheels are 16 inch. I know that 17 inch tramlines more. Which size do you have?
[/QUOTE]

I have 16 inch wheels same as you i find it does'nt do it at motorway speeds 70 mph more at lower speeds.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.