Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was at a stop light, when I decided to put the top down on my 07 slk amg...when about 2/3 of the way through, the light turned green. I had heard that it is not a good idea to ever stop the motions of either raising or lowering the roof once it is already in motion (due to possible untracking) so I stayed put (with the car in drive and the brake pedal depressed) until the roof was down. I did not get any horn honks....but I am curious, does the roof function at all if the car is in motion?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For the most part... the roof will not function while moving. However, mine did in reverse.

Anyways, that's why this site sells the Smartroof module. For under $300, you can operate your roof up to 30mph and it comes with a bunch of other features too. Check it out.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
the installation really is quite simple, if you can't do it, i'm sure your local TRUSTED electrician/auto mechanic can do it. Also, my car the roofs work up to about 5 mph before i installed the roof module.

D

·
0 Posts
As said above roof module lets you operate from a distance and set a max speed the OEM setup will allow it to work to about 3MPH.

Never heard anything about stopping it in motion i have had to stop my roof many times on both cars and reverse its function just let the switch go and it will stop then run it backward.

Unless your in motion and you catch a bump in the road the roof is quite hard to put out of line the rule is basically don't interfere with its path keep your hands out of the way and stuff like that it is designed to be stopped mid-cycle for both cleaning and as an emergency feature to stop it doing somebody damage if they are in its way because if you get a finger in a joint or locking sector an you don't stop the pump right away it will remove it i have seen the aftermath and it ain't nice not only was he down 2 fingers but the damage was not covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
i have seen the aftermath and it ain't nice not only was he down 2 fingers but the damage was not covered under warranty.
Was that the damage to the car or to the fingers that wasn't covered?? :biglaugh:

D

·
0 Posts
Was that the damage to the car or to the fingers that wasn't covered?? :biglaugh:
haha Both!

Burnt out the pump and ruined the left locking sector not a clue how messed up the hand was all i know is it crushed 2 of the fingers right off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.