Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Left and Right side is as you are facing forward sat in drivers seat, so on a Left Hand Drive Car, Left will be the same side as your Steering Wheel ;) ......................

What side of your Car is the Starter Motor mounted on ?? Starter Motor is below one of the Exhaust Manifolds low down towards rear of the Engine ;)

TIA Dave

Registered 2001 SLK230
Here's a picture of a 320 out of a 2001 SLK 320. Looks like it's on the right (passenger side). You can see the hole where the starter meets the flywheel.

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You @slk230red ,

So, looks like LHD Starter is on the right then, and on my RHD Car it's on the left ...................

That has to be so it doesn't collide with the Steering Box :(

OK, so that means I'll have to bore out the hole on my V8 Engines block and fit the Starter to the left side, and also make up an Aluminium blanking plate for my V8's right side ...........

A few hours extra work to do a nice job, but I'll not need to modify the Ckt 30 Big battery Cable so the upside is that'll save an hour or so ;)

You can see from @slk230red 's first pic, the block is shaped symetrically so it won't be too big a deal ;)

With any luck I've got the correct size Starret Hole saw, just need to make a metal template up first and bolt it on left side so I get it plumb dead centred ;)

The joys of Hot Roddin' 馃ぃ

Cheers 馃嵑 馃嵑

Registered 2001 SLK230
If you read Dave2302's extensive thread on his conversion journey you will doubtless see the funny side of your comment as I did 馃槉
I'll have to look for it. (y)

OK, now I get it....

I think it would be fair to say any of us who know Mercedes Cars will agree, by using a V6 Car as a base, dropping in a V8 from a mechanical perspective will be an absolute doddle using standard MB Parts ........................

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #8
Is your existing starter not working? Have you thought about having it rebuilt?
Thank you so much for your help here, especially your first post above, the pictures speak a thousand words :)

Being in the UK I have never seen a LHD R170 V6, and I just wanted to confirm my suspicion that the V8 likely won't fit with the Starter Motor mounted on the Right Side because my V8's Starter Motor is right in the area that the Steering Box sits ;)

I must confess I did chuckle when I read your second comment, but glad you've seen the build thread, and hopefully you will hop on board as the others have and follow the journey, which is now rapidly snowballing ;)

Moving the Starter to the Left Side of the Engine is not a big deal for me, just a very fiddly operation, I will know more when I un bolt it from the RHS of my V8 this weekend ..............

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #10
Good shout ;) .............

Buuuuut ............

No Buddy,

I did think that for one small moment, a long way back when I first considered I may need to do this ;)

If you think about it that won't happen ....................

See the picture of Flywheel in post # 2 above ..................

Use one finger and imagine spinning the Ring Gear anticlockwise. that is your Engine Rotation from the rear, (So Clockwise at Front Pulley) ............... Now use a finger on the other hand and spin your Starter in a clockwise Direction and move the starter finger Right to Left do all that whilst imagining the Gear Teeth engaged ............

You see the Flywheel Ring Gears teeth are going upwards on the Right of the Engine and Downwards on the Left ;)

The only thing is Starter is mounted with Solenoid upwards on the right side of the V8 and on my R170 V6 Engine it is exactly the same Starter Motor mounted with Solenoid downwards on the left side ...............

I know that's fact because of when I had the ECU / Cranking issues way way back, and I had to lift the Car to get at the Starter Motor and connect a hot-wire on the Solenoid from underneath for testing purposes ;)

HTH,

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #12
/\ /\ /\ Keep the inputs coming, that one had the potential to save me a fortune, if an Engine with a Timing Chain turns the wrong way it can jump the Chain and bend Valves :eek:

馃ぃ .........

I am just sittin' here with a Coffee, spinning my fingers as above, and imagining guys and gals who are following my project ...............

All over the world maybe there is Guys and Gals spinning their imaginary Engines and Starters 馃槇 :ROFLMAO:

That my friends is the power of the Internet ;)

Damn I love a project :)

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually quite sad that I can't just get the SLK in next week and fit this, but I have to do some paying work to help pay for all this malarky ;)

Won't be long now tho, R170 should be in da building before end of February ;)

馃嵑 馃嵑

Registered 2001 SLK230
Thank you so much for your help here, especially your first post above, the pictures speak a thousand words :)

Being in the UK I have never seen a LHD R170 V6, and I just wanted to confirm my suspicion that the V8 likely won't fit with the Starter Motor mounted on the Right Side because my V8's Starter Motor is right in the area that the Steering Box sits ;)

I must confess I did chuckle when I read your second comment, but glad you've seen the build thread, and hopefully you will hop on board as the others have and follow the journey, which is now rapidly snowballing ;)

Moving the Starter to the Left Side of the Engine is not a big deal for me, just a very fiddly operation, I will know more when I un bolt it from the RHS of my V8 this weekend ..............
Well that build thread is going to be a real challenge. Over here we just get a GM crate 350, fabricate motor mounts, drive shafts etc., and call it a day.
Good luck with your build thread, can't wait to see it completed.

David Cameron

Registered 1996 SLK230K
Well that build thread is going to be a real challenge. Over hear we just get a GM crate 350, fabricate motor mounts, drive shafts etc., and call it a day.
Good luck with your build thread, can't wait to see it completed.

David Cameron
Surely you wouldn't drop a crate 350 into a SLK?
[RANT]
It's just my personal opinion, but engines/cars should never be cross-bred. If I was to do an engine swap in my Merc I'd use a Merc engine. If I was to engine swap my BMW, I'd use a BMW engine etc.
Over here in Australia it has become the latest fashion to drop a LS1 into anything, especially Nissan Skyline's and Silvia's. For some reason this annoys the crap out of me, Nissan make a perfectly good V8 engine (e.g. VK50VE, 5.0L Variable Valve Lift, Quad Cam etc.) so why not use it? They (LS1 vs. VK50VE) would both cost similar prices, there is very little reason to cross-breed when doing an engine swap.
[/RANT]

Cheers
Jay

Registered 2001 SLK230
Surely you wouldn't drop a crate 350 into a SLK?
[RANT]
It's just my personal opinion, but engines/cars should never be cross-bred. If I was to do an engine swap in my Merc I'd use a Merc engine. If I was to engine swap my BMW, I'd use a BMW engine etc.
Over here in Australia it has become the latest fashion to drop a LS1 into anything, especially Nissan Skyline's and Silvia's. For some reason this annoys the crap out of me, Nissan make a perfectly good V8 engine (e.g. VK50VE, 5.0L Variable Valve Lift, Quad Cam etc.) so why not use it? They (LS1 vs. VK50VE) would both cost similar prices, there is very little reason to cross-breed when doing an engine swap.
[/RANT]

Cheers
Jay
In a heartbeat! I'm old school, I like the simplicity of a Chevy V8. Years ago, guys were putting 350 V8's in Jaguars, much more dependable. I've owned my '71 Corvette LS5 (454) Convertible 4 speed for 45 years, still going strong.

Registered 2002 SLK320
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

There is 2 sides to this coin, I've done both, V8 Chevys and Fords in all sorts including a 1972 Fiat 500, 400ci SBC with NOS, another was my 1987 Range Rover Vogue with V8 6.2 litre Chevy Diesel, and a Ford Granada Coupe with a Ford V8 351 Cleveland 馃槇

However an SLK Road Car, it just has to be done with a Mercedes Engine, one reason is I want it to look factory, another is because the Motor Electronics have to play properly with Traction, ABS, Transmisson and other Electronics.

Anyway, this Starter issue, yeah it's do-able but I may have to buy some form of milling cutter and make a jig, or take the Engine to a machine shop, this might entail going to England wi' it because I'm not certain anyone in Inverness could do it any better than I can with more basic tools :(

Chewing it over which way to go right now, there is an issue I didn't see until I pulled the Starter out of the block this morning, see my build thread ;)

(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts