Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the radio code needed to allow the radio to work, embedded in the RADIO or is it in the cars ECU?

The reason I ask is we are going to replace the radio in the wife's car with another MB radio that plays CD's which her current one does not.

We have the current radio code. But will the 'new to us' MB radio COME with a new code, or will our current code be what will be needed to make it work?

thx

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Is the radio code needed to allow the radio to work, embedded in the RADIO or is it in the cars ECU?

The reason I ask is we are going to replace the radio in the wife's car with another MB radio that plays CD's which her current one does not.

We have the current radio code. But will the 'new to us' MB radio COME with a new code, or will our current code be what will be needed to make it work?

thx[/QUOT

The code is in the radio itself .
You need the 4 digit code that comes with the new radio you are fitting .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delucas,

Thx. That clears that up. In my wife's current radio, the code is five digits not four. Go figure.

So, regardless of which radio we purchase, as long as it COMES with the radio code, we should be plug and play, which I like about these radios.

again, thx

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Yes think its 5 on the old style radio / cd merc ones .

Yes you need the code or its a brick so to speak .
Its common for the cd side of it to play up on them .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem we are currently having is the cassette works, but no radio. I'm hoping it's the antenna amplifier, which I have purchased online.

If that doesn't help, then I'm kind of at a loss, other than just replacing it, which we were going to do anyway. She wants a CD player in the car, not the trunk so the easy solution is to just replace the radio. They pull out and go back in like a breeze with the correct tools.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just thought I would update what I said.

I replaced the antenna amplifier and the radio, which comes on, still does not have any sound coming out of it.

It comes on, it even LOOKS like it is working, just no sound coming out - so it is time for a new radio, which we were going to do any way.

the funny thing is that the cassette works great, just not the radio, which the wife likes to listen to on the way to and from work.

time for a new radio

at least I hope that solves the problem

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
There are two fuse's on the back of the factory radio, not sure what their purpose is but it may be the cause of you sound issue.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two fuse's on the back of the factory radio, not sure what their purpose is but it may be the cause of you sound issue.

Actually on the radio in my wifes 2002 SLK32 AMG, the radio only has one fuse. It's a 10amp job and I already replaced it. I also replacxed the three 15 amp fuses in the fuse box, though they tested good when I hooked them to my Ohm meter this morning. There is a 5 amp fuse that I don't have any spares for, so I did not replace that one yet.

Once I purchase a box of 5 amp fuses I will replace that one as well. Though I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will test OK as well - I did pull it and it looks good, but you never know.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
My own opinion
Is just replace the unit with a new one .
They are so cheap head units and do so much more bluetooth for phone calls ,cd ,rds,dab i could go on .

I changed my original for a Alpine unit and the sound quality jumped quite a bit . :grin:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Delucas,

That's the plan.

I asked the wife if she wanted bluetooth and while that would allow her to connect her phone (with the mike addition?) she just didn't get that excited about it.

We will see.

I'll post pix when we get the new radio installed.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Delucas,

That's the plan.

I asked the wife if she wanted bluetooth and while that would allow her to connect her phone (with the mike addition?) she just didn't get that excited about it.

We will see.

I'll post pix when we get the new radio installed.
With bluetooth tell her she can stream her fav music from her phone . :)
If that dont work tell her it can prepare meals to . :wink:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it only took two months, but I FINALLY got a replacement radio for my wife. Got it off of Ebay and it was exactly like the one she had.

So I disconnected the battery, removed the old unit, disconnected the four plugs. Put the four plugs in the new (to me) unit, reconnected the battery and tested it.

INSTANT SOUND. Boy that was easy. So I slid the new (to me) unit in place and had the wife reprogram all her radio stations. It took her about five minutes to do that.

So my wife is a happy camper. I talked to her at work today and she said it worked great.

The replacement radio, a factory replacement with the code included cost me $50. It took me less than five minutes to replace the old one and put in the 'new' to me radio in my wife's car. ALL DONE.

Next up is replacing all the shocks with Mercedes Benz shocks.

Anyway, one less thing to fix.

And eventually, I will replace the 'older' unit with a bluetooth one, once I get all the other things fixed and the car paid off. So hopefully, by this time next year, all will be as it should.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, it only took two months, but I FINALLY got a replacement radio for my wife.

Thats a great trade...can we see a picture of your wife?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Well, it only took two months, but I FINALLY got a replacement radio for my wife.

Thats a great trade...can we see a picture of your wife?
Here's my wife

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.