Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling over an 2004-2008 slk 280, and most likely going to pull a trigger on one in the next few weeks. I've been searching around and I'm seeing 3 different front designs?

can someone enlighten me on this to which versions they are? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Top pic is a regular r171 - Just like my 2006 SLK 280

Bottom pic is an AMG fender package - not sure how you get that in a 280 - probably cosmetic w/o the true AMG engine

Middle I'm not sure - think it's a model year change in the later years.

The more knowledgeable guys can help you with the details.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
The top photo is a pre-facelift (2005-2008) model.
The middle photo is a facelift (2009-2011) model - the SLK 280 was renamed SLK 300.
The bottom photo is a facelift SLK 55 AMG.

There was a sport pack option on 280s that featured a front end similar to the AMG, but not identical to the photo you posted.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,205 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
The last model year (2011) of the R171 IIRC may have had the sports pack as standard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies everyone! That sport pack, is that available through the dealership or as an aftermarket application? I'm planning on getting an 07 280/350. Assuming i'll end up with a private seller or car max, will I be able to order that sport pack through a MB dealer and add that on later? Also, any other aftermarket body-styling out there besides the AMG looks? Thanks again for the quick replies. I'm not planning on "ricing" it, but i do prefer that more aggressive look.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
You can't buy it as a package from MB (these were options from the factory) but you can get the necessary pieces. Search threads for brake upgrades for example. There are after market air dams and spoilers.

Seeing as you ride a ninja, I'd recommend the 350...the 7spd auto has sport and comfort modes, as well as tip-tronic (ie you pick the gear); there is a 6spd manual if you're so inclined.

Welcome!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to flieger's and qship's recommendations, I test drove both the 280 and 350 today, and it looks like I'll be aiming for the 350 now. One more week! Going to spend the next few days searching around for more leads. Anyone know how reliable buying from carmax? All the dealers I've searched up has only the newer generations.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
I got mine from Carmax. Haven't had any complaints. You have 5 days to return the car no questions asked if you get cold feet, and 30 days to have them repair whatever it is that needs work (take them up on this, even if it's just new wiper blades!).

Regarding the Sport Pack. While you can get the bumper and sideskirts later they are very expensive. If you can get a car with the Sport Pack already on it, I would recommend going that route. The front bumper alone will set you back $1500 and it won't even be painted and mounted for that price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to check this out when I test drove the cars, but are all slk headlights running on hids stock or on halogen?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Look around for a 350 that has the sports pack. A Lot depends on what the original buyer specified. My 2006 has the sports pack. Air scarf is a nice touch as well when its a bit chilly. Headlights vary as far as I am aware

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I forgot to check this out when I test drove the cars, but are all slk headlights running on hids stock or on halogen?
BiX - BiXenon - are always an option. There were included in some of the option packs in some markets, but are easily identified as they were only fitted with washers as well.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
BiX - BiXenon - are always an option. There were included in some of the option packs in some markets, but are easily identified as they were only fitted with washers as well.
Not used my washers as yet. Maybe I wash the car too often :biglaugh: Mind winter looms with mucky roads as I am penned in by quarries

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not used my washers as yet. Maybe I wash the car too often :biglaugh: Mind winter looms with mucky roads as I am penned in by quarries
You don't get a choice. (Whether or not to use the headlamp washers).

IIRC they operate after 7 uses (possibly 10, can't remember) of the windshield washers if the headlamps are switched on and the engine is running. This resets when you switch off the ignition.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
You don't get a choice. (Whether or not to use the headlamp washers).

IIRC they operate after 7 uses (possibly 10, can't remember) of the windshield washers if the headlamps are switched on and the engine is running. This resets when you switch off the ignition.
Is that 7 uses at one go. I know mine work but they have never operated on their own and I cant say I have ever needed to use the windscreen washers that many times on one drive. Mind I didnt have the car until after last winter :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
The most valuable info I can give you is...BUY A FACELIFTED CAR!

The tribulations I have gone through to facelift mine has taught me that FAR more changed cosmetically than most people think.

Trust me, you'll thank me later.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Is that 7 uses at one go. I know mine work but they have never operated on their own and I cant say I have ever needed to use the windscreen washers that many times on one drive. Mind I didnt have the car until after last winter :)
I've just checked my manual (should have done so before for I posted!).

For the R171, after you start the engine, if you use the windshield washer 5 times and the headlamps are on, the headlamp cleaning system (washers!) operates, after a further 5 windshield washer operations it will do so again,and so on.

When you stop the engine, the counter resets.

I have seen this maybe 3 or 4 times in 33 months. For the R172 it's 10 uses!? R172 drivers probably don't use their cars when it might get dirty!:burnout:

Reactions: JonB

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
As from now I choose my route from my village to avoid the worst of the quarries. One trip along that road for about half a mile and you would need to refill the washer bottle. I kid you not. It gets so bad you could measure the depth of mud on the road. If you meet a tipper coming the other way even your wash wipe cant cope. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what is this windscreen/headlamps washer you guys speak of? how do i identify such? I'm imagining little tiny goofy wipers cleaning the headlamps.....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.