Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just got a used SLK 230 that is in great condition. The check engine light is NOT on, however when I plugged in my ScanGaugeII (trip computer that tracks gas mileage among other things, also has an OBD II reader) I noticed I get code P0130, which I have determined is the O2 sensor (Bank 1 Position 1).

My questions are:

1) Can someone identify which sensor is Bank 1 Position 1? I assume it's the driver's side upstream sensor but I want to be sure.

2) Is it worthwhile to replace both upstream sensors simultaneously? Or should I only replace the problematic sensor and wait until the other one burns out?

3) I can get a replacement sensor from Amazon, either the universal sensor or the OEM sensor. The universal sensor is half the cost and looks like an updated model that might work better or be more efficient than the OEM model. Can anyone confirm or deny these suspicions?

Universal: Bosch 15730 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Type Fitment : Amazon.com : Automotive

OEM: Bosch 13893 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to becoming more active on these forums. I'm going to ask for a SmartTop module for Christmas :-D

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,381 Posts
It is the one infront of the cat.. I would only replace it after checking that there is no oil and the concection is clean and dry at the sensor. You should check the cam adjustor on the front of the engine. The cam adjustor has been known to leak oil which will wick into the wire harnest and can cause the senor error reading. If it is leaking check with dealer as they might replace it due to a service chamapain sent out in December 2009. This happen to a 2001 SLK 230 I once owned.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi there,

1) Can someone identify which sensor is Bank 1 Position 1? I assume it's the driver's side upstream sensor but I want to be sure.

2) Is it worthwhile to replace both upstream sensors simultaneously? Or should I only replace the problematic sensor and wait until the other one burns out?

3) I can get a replacement sensor from Amazon, either the universal sensor or the OEM sensor. The universal sensor is half the cost and looks like an updated model that might work better or be more efficient than the OEM model. Can anyone confirm or deny these suspicions?

Universal: Bosch 15730 Oxygen Sensor, Universal Type Fitment : Amazon.com : Automotive

OEM: Bosch 13893 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to becoming more active on these forums. I'm going to ask for a SmartTop module for Christmas :-D

Since it a 4 cylinders, there's only one exhaust manifold, not like V6, V8...etc. that have 2 exhaust manifold. Sensor 1, is before the CAT. It very easy to replace. Spray alot of the rust buster stuff and let it soaks.Only buy the OEM part or it will not work right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In addition to the above post the P0130 is also caused by a dirty MAF
Thanks, I had a suspicion this was the case as the previous owner has been using a K&N air filter for a while. Any tips on how to remove and clean the MAF sensor?

Should I replace the O2 sensor anyway as a precaution? I read in several places that they wear out around 100,000 miles and this car is just over that.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Personally I would clean the MAF first. I'm not %100 sure on the pre facelift models so I would do a search on how to remove it. Some models are inserts some need the a section of piping removed. Either way it's a simple Job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Scan Gauge II and noticed that in the pending codes section I would have O2 sensor codes from my 320 while parked and idling or with the engine off. I have not ever had the CEL come on though. What I did was to set the gauge to monitor the O2 voltages and found that while driving the voltages where in the correct ranges. I then checked the pending codes when driving down the road it did not have any registered. If you are seeing the codes in the pending section and you are parked, then you probably are OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Scan Gauge II and noticed that in the pending codes section I would have O2 sensor codes from my 320 while parked and idling or with the engine off. I have not ever had the CEL come on though. What I did was to set the gauge to monitor the O2 voltages and found that while driving the voltages where in the correct ranges. I then checked the pending codes when driving down the road it did not have any registered. If you are seeing the codes in the pending section and you are parked, then you probably are OK.
Thanks! I will try that next time I drive the car. Do you remember what you had to do to read O2 voltages with the ScanGauge?

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the setup menu for selecting gauges I set the Bank one sensors to display in the "G" and "I" locations which are on the second screen of the Scan Gauge when it is in display mode. If you don't have a manual for it their website has them available to download and will also help in programming the gauges - it also states what the normal readings are for the various sensors that you can display.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleaned the MAF today, but surprisingly when I opened it up it was already spotless! Not a single drop of oil, no debris, nothing at all. I bought the CRC MAF cleaner so I liberally sprayed it all over the MAF sensor, let it dry and put it back together. Haven't test-driven it yet but since the MAF was clean to begin with, I think my error code will still be present.

So now, can anyone please tell me how to get at the upstream O2 sensor on a pre-facelift SLK 230? I looked around the engine bay from above and couldn't see it sticking out of the exhaust pipe, do I need to get under the car to access it?

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,381 Posts
So now, can anyone please tell me how to get at the upstream O2 sensor on a pre-facelift SLK 230? I looked around the engine bay from above and couldn't see it sticking out of the exhaust pipe, do I need to get under the car to access it?

On the left side look between the battery and the engine and you will see the exhaust pipe and down low you will see the O2 sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.