Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

So I have a question regarding HID/Xenons in general.

So to my understanding, for HID Kits, generally speaking you would want a relay harness to connect the ballast directly to the battery. Not only will this eliminate strobing effect (from lack of power) but it also protects your OEM harnesses, wiring, and electrical system. Sounds good, because HID bulbs require like 20amps at startup which is higher than the 12amp or so from halogens. So then here is my question... How is this different from OEM xenons? There will still be that 20amp shoot-up. Is it that in xenon equipped cars, they use "stronger" harnesses throughout the whole electrical system to handle this increased load?

So that is to say, even if I did a "proper" retrofit, by buying an OEM light assembly/lens (projector), I will still need a relay harness because the wiring is still the "weaker" ones from a halogen vehicle? Then the only reason to do a "proper" retrofit would be 1) To reduce glare due to a proper lens designed for HID bulbs and 2) will prevent melting due to overheating because HID assembly are presumably made from more heat-resistant material (even though halogens produce more heat, generally speaking compared to 35W HIDs)

Can someone correct and/or confirm what I have said?

Also, for those HID RetrofoFit pros out there, quick question. Like I have mentioned before, halogen and xenon/HID lens are designed differently to refract/bend light. However, there are certain lens/projectors that are very similar to each other, and some companies even use the exact same projector for HID vs. halogens. I was told H7 Valeo projectors are very similar whether it is HID or Halogen. Can anyone confirm this too?

Thanks a lot!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.