Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a couple used cars that are originally purchased, titled, and owned in California. Does MB or the dealership have to do anything to the cars to comply with CA emissions standards? Does it reduce performance or MPG? If so, I'd like to take that stuff off when I buy the car and let that baby breathe here in AZ!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Nah, I think they just tend to steer you a bit to the left. ;-)

In all seriousness, not sure, but I don't think MB makes any specific mods for Kali cars - maybe someone with some personal experience can chime in...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I think they just tend to steer you a bit to the left. ;-)
:biglaugh: Yeah, I would have the alignment checked for sure

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some info on the CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles web site regarding Smog certification. http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

So it sounds like there is no "aftermarket" or dealer modification to make the car compliant with California emissions. It has to come that way from the factory and most likely all MB vehicles are 50 state certified. Doesn't hurt to check for this tag under the hood when you're shopping used. Notice the bottom of the tag says "Fed & Canada" (49 state emissions) versus "USA and Canada" (50 state). The info should be available under a VIN number lookup as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.