Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
**Registered 2006 SLK280
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a basic stock radio in my 2006 280 slk. I want to upgrade the radio to be able to use handsfree calling and navigation. I have seen posts on here regarding various units however the post are a few years old and those units are no longer available. Are there any new post I can look at regarding suggestions or can anyone suggest a radio for me.

I live in NJ and am having a hard time even finding someone who feels comfortable working on a Mercedes. I didn't think switching out the radio would be this difficult. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. R)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,032 Posts
Switching is a breeze. I ordered an aftermarket Kenwood with an adapter for the factory wiring. I also ordered a module which allowed me to retain steering wheel stereo control. The Cruthfield site is a good place to start. One of suggested/"required" parts was an adapter for the antennae. I didn't need it so it was wasted money.

05 SLK 350. (I think it's basically the same car ??)

·
**Registered 2006 SLK280
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Roxanne, I think the interior may look the same but from what I understand, you have a bigger engine. Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out cruthfield.

Hi Curro, I'll check out the s-100 too. I'm used to navigation and satellite radio, this basic radio is killing me. Thanks.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
s100 and 160 do not have sat radio option

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
AS you have the basic Audio20 the process is a lot easier ..

You can fit pretty much any aftermarket headunit you want - most of the main brands have woring adapters available, and there are some very good fascia kits available so the installaton matches the dash.

Steering wheel control interfaces, bluetooth, navigation, usb/ipod integration are pretty much the norm on most - can't comment much on Sat radio as we don't use it on this side of the pond (though when I was last in Florida it was fitted to our hire car and it's fairly good)

Pick a brand, decide on the features you want and then get a Connects2 (or similar) installation kit from somewhere like Crutchfields ....

For example, here's the current UK Alpine range Alpine - Headunits

And here's the installation kit for the double din headunits Connects2 Ltd

Reactions: DeeLite

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,032 Posts
For grins and giggles you can read about my misery in the thread "Smart to doesn't work with remote start". Unrelated perhaps but as you read you will see that when I REMOVED the after market steering wheel control, the problems dissipated. Perhaps not fair to blame that control unit but I certainly won't be taking my dash apart (r171) to reinstall it. As a note, the problems reappeared but that's another story entirely. Good luck to you mate. And yeah Sirrius is awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.