Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the air filters from Green to OEM as I plan to "dry clean" the Green Air Filters and check the condition of the Air Filter Box.

I noticed this before but didn't ask the question and didn't have pix. There's another filter element (medium grey color) that is a more-or-less permanent install on top of the usual air filter, one for each side (see pix below, OEM air filter shown).

Question: Does the R171 SLK 55 AMG have essentially quad air filters? Is this also found in the 300 and 350?

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it just a rectangular cavity at where the grey filter is located in other vehicles?

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Dan, Bill T, dsb for the replies. I wonder if it's just an aberration. The molded part no. on the air filter box is A112 094 00 04.
I didn't get a chance to see if the grey filter has a separate part no. printed on it or not. I'll check next time.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not on my 2006 either.

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same grey filters on my 08 as well.

Can these be clean like the green filters?
They're glued on from what I can tell. I've tried a soft brush to see it it's dusty or dirty but it has been relatively clean so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess I just leave the fliters alone then. By the way, eytu do you think if is ok or easy enough to do your own oil change for slk55? I've seen a thread for slk350, are they the same steps? Mine is gonna due soon.

Bruce:usa:

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I just the leave the fliters alone then. By the way, eytu do you think if is ok or easy enough to do your own oil change for slk55? I've seen a thread for slk350, are they the same steps? Mine is gonna due soon.
I'm not that mechanically inclined to do my own oil and filter change, perhaps someone who's done them on the 55 can chime in. I'd guess the method is very similar.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
I've seen these kinds of filters in many newer cars of other makes. My '09 Toyota Tacoma had one installed. I removed it. My guess is they have something to do with reducing emissions in some small way, maybe while the engine is cold. Anyway, that's what I've heard other folks speculate.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
I guess I just leave the fliters alone then. By the way, eytu do you think if is ok or easy enough to do your own oil change for slk55? I've seen a thread for slk350, are they the same steps? Mine is gonna due soon.

the steps are basically the same... I'll post up pictures tomorrow night for the oil change on an SLK 55.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.