Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all that take a look,

I feel better now that I have subscribed, I have had my moneys worth of information already! But being new to the SLK world will leave me asking silly questions that most will know the answers to quite easily.
I read a thread on what to do about radio codes, went my MB dealer and the service guy made me a coffee, saw I was comfortable with the TV and went to find my code, THEN he even came out to the car and set the code for me, now I'm :rb while R)Hee hee, ahum,,,sorry.
I have the Audio 10 Cd head unit which works very well, But can someone tell me if the changer is in the car in a special place? As I can not find it. But then it wasn't discussed during the whole purchase scenario so I'm not sure it has one.
I have been under the bonnet/Hood for you USA guys and looked at the head light fittings, so I am thinking of upgrading the bulbs to Phillips extreme bulbs which offer a 5000k and upto 80% brighter white light, is this a good idea? as I have read about HID lights and I am not sure what they are, are they replacement light units? or bulbs? any help there would be appreciated as the vision I have at the moment is not great and very yellow. Oh, and my light lens seem to be plastic, are they plastic covers for to protect the glass or ARE they plastic??
My car has the indicators in the mirrors as well as the light fitment, so is it a face lift model or not?
I was told today that my car (SLK 230 R170) has a "super charger" or is it a turbo, or none of the above? No giggles here please, at least I'm under the hood looking at things and learning more than just where does the water go! ,,,Lol
I'm now off to find the data for my motor, Top Speed, BHP, 0-60mph time the usual things you need to know while driving to the stores of course. :burnout:

Many thanks for any replies.

Hope your all having as much fun as I am

Jaks P.S I can't upload a 100x 75pixels 14Kb pic to my user profile,, Confused

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Welcome to this great forum from Eugene, Oregon!
And yes, I’m having lots of fun (on dry days):biglaugh:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
As far as I remember (I sold my R170 way back in 2004), the CD changer is in the boot, on the LHS (or might be the RHS!!), just under one of the back wings (Pls swap wing/boot for fender/trunk as you feel the need to!!).

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London via not-sunny-at-all Aberdeen. Shoot me a PM with your VIN number and I'll pull the datacard for your car - that way you will at least know what it left the factory with!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
HID's are separate units that require ballasts and a different type of lamp. Factory BiXenon (HID) headlamps have colour temp around 4300K.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hello to all that take a look,

I feel better now that I have subscribed, I have had my moneys worth of information already! But being new to the SLK world will leave me asking silly questions that most will know the answers to quite easily.
There's no such thing as a silly question - stupidity comes from people who think they know, but dont. Like anything in life, if you don't know, ask.

I read a thread on what to do about radio codes, went my MB dealer and the service guy made me a coffee, saw I was comfortable with the TV and went to find my code, THEN he even came out to the car and set the code for me, now I'm :rb while R)Hee hee, ahum,,,sorry.
Nice dealer.

I have the Audio 10 Cd head unit which works very well, But can someone tell me if the changer is in the car in a special place? As I can not find it. But then it wasn't discussed during the whole purchase scenario so I'm not sure it has one.
As far as I remember (I sold my R170 way back in 2004), the CD changer is in the boot, on the LHS (or might be the RHS!!), just under one of the back wings (Pls swap wing/boot for fender/trunk as you feel the need to!!).
Oh, and my light lens seem to be plastic, are they plastic covers for to protect the glass or ARE they plastic??
My car has the indicators in the mirrors as well as the light fitment, so is it a face lift model or not?
Both standard (plastic light lenses & mirror indicators) on all SLKs (both R170s and R171s).

I was told today that my car (SLK 230 R170) has a "super charger" or is it a turbo, or none of the above?
You have a supercharger - i.e. an engine driven (by a belt) compressor, as opposed to a turbocharger (a turbine pump driven by exhaust gases).

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
What do you mean when you say they require ballasts?

Regards

Jaks
The High Intensity Discharge lamps need an initial high voltage to illuminate the gas (thus requiring an electric/electronic ballast) and then uses a smaller voltage to maintain the illumination. Think of it as "flourescent" lamps as opposed to incandescent lamps.

Link to some HID information.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Hi and welcome. Thanks for the paid support. It's money well spent. Great idea to upgrade your headlights to the Philips extreme bulbs. Easy, inexpensive upgrade that will produce better lighting and better looking lighting. HID (xenons) are the best lighting available. Available as a factory option or aftermarket kit. Go the easy route with the Philips extreme bulbs and see how you like that look. You can go aftermarket HID later. Everyone's here to help. Ask away....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Leapyfish,
You certainly deserve a thanks for all of that information, I do have the book and documents but not with me yet, I will collect them when I next go to a friends place.

Many Thanks once again :tu:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:tu:Hi and welcome. Thanks for the paid support. It's money well spent. Great idea to upgrade your headlights to the Philips extreme bulbs. Easy, inexpensive upgrade that will produce better lighting and better looking lighting. HID (xenons) are the best lighting available. Available as a factory option or aftermarket kit. Go the easy route with the Philips extreme bulbs and see how you like that look. You can go aftermarket HID later. Everyone's here to help. Ask away....
Many thanks Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The High Intensity Discharge lamps need an initial high voltage to illuminate the gas (thus requiring an electric/electronic ballast) and then uses a smaller voltage to maintain the illumination. Think of it as "flourescent" lamps as opposed to incandescent lamps.

Link to some HID information.
Many Thnks Etyu

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are looking for some info on the R170 or should I say more accurately, magazine reviews, I recommend you pick up the Brooklands "Road Test" Limited Edition for the Mercedes CLK and SLK. It's a booklet that contains quite a few reviews on the SLK (and CLK) from both the UK and USA. I just bought it a week ago as a means of learning a bit about the car. It's funny that I never really paid much attention to the car when the R170 was new, but now I find it to be a rather interesting vehicle. I find that the book has some interesting info.

According to one of the articles, the steering box on the R170 was taken from the C36 AMG--if true, I didn't know that. Cool info.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.